Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi, nice to have you here!

I've looked at a few of the no knead bread recipes. One I make frequently fits that category...it makes up a sour dough type bread. Do you have some favorites in mind you'd like to share?

2. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    I am making chocolate bread pudding in a crock pot:

3. Zeil

Zeil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2015
    Brisbane QLD
    There's a few but specifically the recipes which call for a very wet dough and a preheated Dutch oven.
    I've found they require very little skill and produce light crisp loaves.

4. cheepteach

cheepteach Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2015
    NY
    beer bread is a favorite at my house a can of beer and flour (1-2 cups--whatever it takes to make a wet dough) the alcohol bakes out but the taste is nice

5. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi @cheepteach , that isn't the whole recipe is it? Sounds too simple to be true (and it sounds good!).

6. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa

We usually get several pounds of blueberries; They are very easy to freeze. I first go through and pick out any bruised/bad ones, them through them in a strainer and rinse them well. After I drain them, I spread them out on cookie sheets on a later of paper towels and stick them in the freezer. (This helps them not freeze in big chunks.) After they're frozen I transfer them into quart freezer zippy bags. Easy and only takes 20 minutes, tops.

7. Zeil

Jun 29, 2015
    Brisbane QLD
    Cheeptech,

Alcohol doesn't cook off at the rate most people think it does.

1 person likes this.
  8. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    That's how we handled the blueberries we got from the u-pick this year. They've maintained their round shape and flavor nicely. So nicely in fact, I've already told DH next year we're getting twice as many! [​IMG]

9. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Blueberry freeze update. I had 12# of organic, no pesticide ones in the gift. Found a site that suggested just placing in freezer bags. Since they were clean and dry decided to try it. Didn't have the luxury of space or time to do the cookie sheet freeze. Placed 1# in each bag and they are frozen and can tell they did not freeze together, they are still loose individual berries [​IMG] They said I could just pull out how many I need for eating or recipes and reseal the bags.

But do know this lady well and trust they are organic. So safe without washing.

Now gotta find some great recipes…will look back on the threads, seems @NorthFLChick had one for blueberry pie. Wondering about using my peach cobbler recipe and sub the BB…would be so, so easy?

10. Zeil

Jun 29, 2015
    Brisbane QLD
    Sunflour,

I have a glut of blueberry recipes, if your interested, although what sort of dishes you prefer would help cull the list.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by