Any Home Bakers Here?

I posted this on another thread this morning but it didn't seem right not to put it here on our baking thread in case someone wants to try it out. The gal that asked for it said she would try it so if I hear back from her, I'll share her take on it...

this is a chocolate chestnut cake in my "like to try someday" file. (Might want to double check the measurements in parentheses, I did the conversions myself...math is not my strong suit.)

250g good quality dark chocolate (8.8 oz.)
250g butter (8.8 oz.)
250g peeled and cooked chestnuts, vacuum packed is fine
250ml milk (1 cup)
4 eggs, separated
125g caster sugar (2/3 cup)
Method
Grease and line a 25cm (9") round cake tin.
Melt the chocolate and butter in a pan over a gentle heat. In another pan heat the chestnuts and milk together until it just comes to the boil. Remove from the heat and mash the chestnuts into the milk until smooth.
Whisk the egg yolks and caster sugar together until combined. Pour in the chocolate mixture and the chestnut mixture and whisk together well.
In a very clean bowl whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks and then carefully fold into the chocolate and chestnut mixture. Pour the mixture into the tin and place in a preheated oven at 170°c (325F), for 25-30 minutes, until it is set, but it will still have a little wobble in the center. Leave in the tin to cool a little if you are serving warm or leave to cool completely. Sift cocoa powder over the top.

I posted this on another thread this morning but it didn't seem right not to put it here on our baking thread in case someone wants to try it out. The gal that asked for it said she would try it so if I hear back from her, I'll share her take on it...

this is a chocolate chestnut cake in my "like to try someday" file. (Might want to double check the measurements in parentheses, I did the conversions myself...math is not my strong suit.)

250g good quality dark chocolate (8.8 oz.)
250g butter (8.8 oz.)
250g peeled and cooked chestnuts, vacuum packed is fine
250ml milk (1 cup)
4 eggs, separated
125g caster sugar (2/3 cup)
Method
Grease and line a 25cm (9") round cake tin.
Melt the chocolate and butter in a pan over a gentle heat. In another pan heat the chestnuts and milk together until it just comes to the boil. Remove from the heat and mash the chestnuts into the milk until smooth.
Whisk the egg yolks and caster sugar together until combined. Pour in the chocolate mixture and the chestnut mixture and whisk together well.
In a very clean bowl whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks and then carefully fold into the chocolate and chestnut mixture. Pour the mixture into the tin and place in a preheated oven at 170°c (325F), for 25-30 minutes, until it is set, but it will still have a little wobble in the center. Leave in the tin to cool a little if you are serving warm or leave to cool completely. Sift cocoa powder over the top.
I had to look up caster sugar--we call int superfine sugar.

Thanks for the recipe!

I had to look up caster sugar--we call int superfine sugar.

Thanks for the recipe!

The photo of the cake looks delicious...rich, chocolatey, dense. I think you ought to try it Ron, and give us a full report!

Love my cast iron, too
I have an ancient Farberware saucepan that was my mother's--just right for heating 1 can of anything---probably will last forever-and a sentimental favorite
I have a couple fry pans that my mom used for her corn bread, It sure brings back memories when we use things that belonged to them doesn't it. I loved her cornbread [she made great fried chicken too.]
smile.png

The photo of the cake looks delicious...rich, chocolatey, dense. I think you ought to try it Ron, and give us a full report!
I have the recipe saved in word and in my recipes folder--I will make it soon and let you know what it is like. I have a kitchen scale that has grams so I will use it for the amounts.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have the recipe saved in word and in my recipes folder--I will make it soon and let you know what it was like. I have a kitchen scale that has grams so I will use it for the amounts.

Thanks!

Excellent! Please let me know if I messed up the conversions.

Oh, and if you need my home address for sending a piece here, I'll pm you.
lol.png

I just ordered water cooked chestnuts for the cake--The delivery is Wednesday so I can make the cake either then or Friday.

I can't wait!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom