Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    The temperature in your oven may be off. Get an oven thermometer so that you can adjust for the temperature difference.

Like one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=oven+thermometer

2. Zeil

Zeil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2015
    Brisbane QLD
  3. Zeil

Jun 29, 2015
    Brisbane QLD

My mother can place her hand on a hot surface (not burning obviously) and tell you what temp it is with only about a 5 degree margin of error. It's a bit humbling as I'm fighting to keep a saucepan simmering without boiling.

4. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Gas ovens should regulate--there is likely something wrong with the oven.

I replaced my oven several years ago with a gas\convection oven. It works very well and keeps a good temperature.

Older ovens can also have problems with insulation settling unevenly causing hot spots. Do things cook too much at certain spots? I have had to turn the cookie sheet around in an oven in a house from years ago.

It is always something isn't it!

I hope you can figure out a way to get the temperature to stay constant for you.

5. Zeil

Jun 29, 2015
    Brisbane QLD

It does to a degree, according to the guy who looked at it the built in gauge was put in an inopportune spot in the lower part of the oven, his solution was to only cook in the lower part of the oven.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  6. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    @Zeil , I have never used a gas oven, but since the outside is burning with inside not done, have you tried a tube pan and cover with tinfoil when the top starts to brown?

@NorthFLChick I love Pumpkin bread too :)

7. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I think I posted my favorite pumpkin bread recipe here a while back. It makes 2 big loaves, easy to make and can be frozen if it lasts that long.

There it is, post #298. Wow, we've come a way since then. I've really enjoyed this thread, thanks everyone for participating! [​IMG]

8. Zeil

Jun 29, 2015
    Brisbane QLD

I had an encounter with some really odious pumpkin bread many years ago, I still can't bring myself to attempt cooking the stuff.

9. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    That's too bad.

10. cheepteach

cheepteach Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2015
    NY
    I would love to be making some pumpkin bread, but the zucchini motherload season is here, so it's zucchini bread today. Any really new ideas for this vegetable?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by