Any Home Bakers Here?

@FortCluck I agree 100% with the others...scratch made is always better than a mix. You just have to experiment and find the right recipes!

Here's my #1 cookie recipe, so easy and only 4 ingredients. (I think it's already in the Index but will repeat here for simplicity.)

Peanut Butter Cookies
1 Cup sugar
1 Cup peanut butter (either crunchy or smooth)
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix it all together. Put tablespoon size lumps on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Bake at 325* for about 14 minutes. Done!

I like to add mini chocolate chips to the dough sometimes. Or put mini peanut butter cups on top of each cookie as soon as the cookies come out of the oven.
Do you use white or brown sugar NFC? I thought brown?

There is a part in baking that is chemistry and a part that can be creative like spices. The chemistry part has to be more precise
Very true. I was thinking more about baking bread. There's the chemistry of course, but there's also kneading, for however long, and knowing when you have enough flour or if the dough is still too wet. The things that you learn through trial and error. My fav bread recipe doesn't use the same amount of flour when it's raining as it does when it's really dry...that kind of stuff is intuitive I think. Make sense?

Very true. I was thinking more about baking bread. There's the chemistry of course, but there's also kneading, for however long, and knowing when you have enough flour or if the dough is still too wet. The things that you learn through trial and error. My fav bread recipe doesn't use the same amount of flour when it's raining as it does when it's really dry...that kind of stuff is intuitive I think. Make sense?
Yes!

No Knead bread has more chemistry in the process because the long proofing time makes the gluten develop without kneading

Ten minutes of, "turn it, fold it, push it away" and the kiddo has produced a nice ball of dough. We're making one loaf of bread and a dozen rolls. He also learned not to start scalding milk, then take a phone call and forget it. Oopsie.
He thinks it's clever to use the heating pad as a warm place to let the dough rise.
20200120_112822.jpg
20200120_112831.jpg
20200120_113155.jpg

Back
Top Bottom