Any Home Bakers Here?

Thanks for all of the 'Alice' pictures. Those are REALLY cute ideas & its so much easier for me to understand when I can see it. I figured out the trick with old tshirts for paper mache one year when I made a Mardi Gras tree for a friends adult party & needed it really sturdy to withstand some of the rowdier guests. I used chicken wire, old tshirts soaked in flour/water & did the outside in brown bags (like 3goodeggs mentioned) & liquid starch because it dries clear. That tree survived for months on my friends patio. Sorry NorthFLChick I didn't intentionally hijack your baking page into a craft page... To get back on topic, I also make a Kings Cake for the party. It was delicious, but was the hardest I've ever worked for a cake -- It felt like I was up all night babying it.

HA HA!
wink.png

@wyoDreamer how did your meringues turn out (if you've made them yet)?
I have them in the oven right now! lol
They have another 1 1/2 hour to bake, but getting crispy on the outside already...

they didn't spread this time, so I made them better than the last time. Then, I got a single cookie-sheet sized meringue that we had to cut into pieces to eat.

Thanks for all of the 'Alice' pictures. Those are REALLY cute ideas & its so much easier for me to understand when I can see it. I figured out the trick with old tshirts for paper mache one year when I made a Mardi Gras tree for a friends adult party & needed it really sturdy to withstand some of the rowdier guests. I used chicken wire, old tshirts soaked in flour/water & did the outside in brown bags (like 3goodeggs mentioned) & liquid starch because it dries clear. That tree survived for months on my friends patio. Sorry NorthFLChick I didn't intentionally hijack your baking page into a craft page... To get back on topic, I also make a Kings Cake for the party. It was delicious, but was the hardest I've ever worked for a cake -- It felt like I was up all night babying it.

Don't worry about hijacking, you're fine! Cool tree. Like the looks of your King's Cake too!

I have them in the oven right now! lol
They have another 1 1/2 hour to bake, but getting crispy on the outside already...

they didn't spread this time, so I made them better than the last time. Then, I got a single cookie-sheet sized meringue that we had to cut into pieces to eat.
Wow, good job, those look great! Did you pipe them onto the cookie sheets? Bet they're tasty!

Find something on the Index you'd like to eat and ask her to show you how to make it :)  Baking doesn't have to be hard...you can do it! Or if you just want to come talk and drool at the pictures along with the rest of us, that's good too!
Yeah this winter when I get stuck in the house I hope to do some more baking....I'll probably be asking some advice....

I can't wait for you to get some ducks

You and me both!

I got some advice from members on the duck forum about breed choices. Looks like it will be Indian Runners (blue ones if available) and Khaki Campbells (like yours!). I'm going to go with a hatchery, no one around me sells them from what I've been able to find out. I'm ok with that too, these will be my first so they'll sort of be my "learner" ducks.

Really looking forward to having them. And duck eggs!

Back
Top Bottom