Any Home Bakers Here?

Ugh, struggling with trying to figure out food allergies. I know milkfat is definitely one, along with lactose and maybe peanut oil. I’ve got to go to a GI doctor and figure this out. No fun!! I’m just ready to be done with finding the nearest potty because Topo ate something that hurt her tummy 🤦‍♀️:lau
Sorry to hear, Topo. Definitely no fun. Hope you find a solution soon. :hugs

I am sorry to hear that!

I can send a new start out tomorrow.

Can you get one of this jar to store the starter in?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08NPXX3WK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The starter keep much better in glass.
That would be welcome. This time, I won’t pour all of it in to make the starter, I’ll keep some of the dried starter on hand so that if this “no sour” problem happens again, I can have some reserve.

You have my address.

As for the jar, I will look into it.

That's a very good idea. That's what I use to make buttermilk.
The tulip jar is the same one that a person on etsy gives out in a pricey kit for sourdough starters. The wooden lid seals nicely.

Tip to all: sourdough needs to be sealed in the fridge.

Since I can, I use wide mouth quarts. Instead of the lid, I use a coffee filter with the band so it can blow off air without ‘splodin’ my jar.
That is not best for storage in the fridge. The tulip jar with the wood lid will pop off if there is pressure. It has a seal too so the starter does not dry out.

I wonder where the idea of not sealing starter comes from? I have always sealed the starter in the fridge. It will keep for a couple of months that way.

That is not best for storage in the fridge. The tulip jar with the wood lid will pop off if there is pressure. It has a seal too so the starter does not dry out.

I wonder where the idea of not sealing starter comes from? I have always sealed the starter in the fridge. It will keep for a couple of months that way.
Will a canning jar work, Ron? With the two-part lid and ring? Those tulip jars are pricey indeed, $28.60 for two at Amazon. I will ordr two if my canning jars won't work though.

Back
Top Bottom