Any Home Bakers Here?

Here is the recipe I promised to post a few days ago.
SHREDDED APPLE CAKE
This is Moms' recipe I have hand written from a long time ago. She did not invent it,, just baked it often. She recited to me from memory, as I was writing it down.
This recipe I often enlarge in quantity when I want to make extra cakes for peeps to take home after Fiesta, or visit.
Sometimes I double, and sometimes I go 1½.

4 Cups shredded apples.
2 Cups sugar
1½ teaspoons Cinnamon
1½ teaspoons Cocoa
2 Cups of flour,, plus some extra as needed
1½ teaspoons Baking Soda
½ Cup Oil. (I like Canola because it is neutral flavor.)
3 Whole eggs

Bake @350°F 45 to 60 minutes. Check when done with toothpick. Baking time will vary when using different depth pans.

Play by Play
I shredded my apples with skins on. Of course I washed them first :old
View attachment 3433067
Eggs, sugar, oil, and baking soda.
View attachment 3433068
Mixed
View attachment 3433069
Added flour, cinnamon, cocoa, and apples, then mixed . I added additional flour to get consistency as shown below. Not too soupy, and not too stiff.
View attachment 3433070
Poured into pans. Cakes will rise in oven baking , so don't overfill pans
View attachment 3433071
These are not yeast raised cakes, so no rise required. Just slip into preheated oven.
Out of oven
View attachment 3433072
I like to line my pans with parchment. Easy removal after baking. The round pans have a round piece of parchment on bottom. When cakes cool,, they shrink a little and pull away from the sidewalls. Parchment on bottom of round pans makes a very easy removal from pan.
View attachment 3433073
Mighty delish :drool:drool:drool.. to me at least:yesss:
View attachment 3433074
Notes.
If you follow recipe exactly you will get what is posted above.

Your choice of apples will also affect how cake tastes. I used Gala apples. I have also used Braeburn, Fuji, and Michigan Golden Delicious. Mom almost always used Macintosh. I rarely purchase Macintosh.

Amount of sugar may seem large quantity by some. This cake does not receive any frosting, or sweet layering, so is not too sweet to me.:old If you choose to change quantity to your taste, or dietary needs, that may affect flavor...... Experiment👍

Cinnamon and Cocoa amounts can be adjusted somewhat. Additional Cocoa will produce a darker cake. Cinnamon,, well adjust to your taste desires. Not everyone likes it equally.

Flour,, I used All-purpose, but often I will use 450 cake flour. Using different flours will of course affect final taste. That is reason there are different flours available. Sometimes the healthiest flour does not translate to the most delicious version of baked product.

Start of with 2 cups, and then judge how you want your dough consistency. Add a little at a time until you get what you want. I prefer slightly stiffer than soupy. :frow I use dough hook on slowest speed for final mixing. Mixing at faster speed may tends to break up the shredded apple pieces into almost apple sauce.

Oil,, I used Canola, since I had it and is of neutral flavor. Other oils such as Corn oil, Sunflower Oil, and Grapeseed oil will work well for this cake. Each will give slightly different taste outcome,, but not very different.
I do not recommend Olive oil for this cake, even though I use much olive oil in other baking, like breads.

I never use Vegetable oil in anything anymore. Had a less than desirable experience long ago, so it is never in my home anymore.
Thanks for the recipe!

E3EF6415-7A8C-419C-B62B-AE5095A4DB1F.jpeg

Yesterday at 7:16 PM when it was only 1 drop per 2 seconds.

8459C698-2B4B-4689-9372-E3FF053D509B.jpeg

Today at 5:21 PM when it is 2 drops a second.

I wonder how much I will collect this tapping season……

I Loooooooove pure maple syrup! I have a big bottle of the fake stuff for the kids because they pour it on their pancakes and waffles with a heavy hand, and I keep a bottle of the GOOD stuff in the fridge just for ME and I use it oh so sparingly, partly because it is expensive and partly because I do have to watch my sugars. I drizzle it on my oatmeal and also in my home made yogurt. Such a treat! Oh man! Oatmeal for breakfast tomorrow, for sure!

Me ( and my grown up kids) LOVE maple syrup, I kind of grew up with it, so I put it in stuff you usually put sugar in , it is kind of expensive here, so I only sometimes splurge on it with pancakes, waffles. Coffee cake with maple syrup kind of elevates it even more, I think. And apple pie, too, but then don’t use cinnamon but vanilla

Back
Top Bottom