Any Home Bakers Here?

@ronott1, those recipes seem amazing! :love I can't wait to try them!

@DigMyChicks, those cinnamon buns are making me soooo hungry! :drool

They were so good...leftovers for breakfast
1f60a.png

My motto: Always make extras....someone will eat them even if it's not me.
lol.png
That's my main problem, there's only me to eat anything. I would have been quite a good cook, I think, if I'd had people to demolish my offerings (or if I'd been a bigger eater/glutton so that I could polish off cakes by myself :D)

Are maple caramels a bit like treacle toffees (if anyone knows what they are)?

That's my main problem, there's only me to eat anything. I would have been quite a good cook, I think, if I'd had people to demolish my offerings (or if I'd been a bigger eater/glutton so that I could polish off cakes by myself :D)

Are maple caramels a bit like treacle toffees (if anyone knows what they are)?

I had to do a look up on the treacle toffees. It appears they are similar but from what I found, treacle is made with molasses instead of the honey or maple syrup used in caramels.

Do you make the treacle toffees potato chip?

I had to do a look up on the treacle toffees. It appears they are similar but from what I found, treacle is made with molasses instead of the honey or maple syrup used in caramels.

Do you make the treacle toffees potato chip?
oh, no, they are English sweets (candies) but you can buy them here from shops that sell imported sweets from England. Ditto with maple syrup, we'd have to find it imported from overseas. I think I've had it, but I can't really remember what it was like. I think it's (much) lighter than treacle.

oh, no, they are English sweets (candies) but you can buy them here from shops that sell imported sweets from England. Ditto with maple syrup, we'd have to find it imported from overseas. I think I've had it, but I can't really remember what it was like. I think it's (much) lighter than treacle.

Maple syrup comes in different grades (from lighter to darker) but I think all of them would be lighter tasting than the molasses used in making treacle.

It's interesting to find out about the differences in foods from one place to another. Thanks @potato chip for helping me learn something new today!

Isn't treacle molasses? I had a friend who's English cousin came to visit on summer and brought treacle toffees, they were pretty good. Maple syrup is much lighter than molasses.

Except for a jar I won at a raffle - one of DH's co-workers taps trees with his family every year and donated to the fund-raiser. Very dark and tastes like it is on the verge of being burnt. Another co-worker -who turns extra eggs into 4 quarts of maple syrup a year - says that it is because the other guy does a continuous boil ever the entire season, just keep adding more sap as they get it and that will produce a very dark, harsh tasting syrup. I will have to try some of the maple recipes with that junk.

and that will produce a very dark, harsh tasting syrup. I will have to try some of the maple recipes with that junk.
That's why I was asking about the treacle toffees as a comparison. I'm imagining maple syrup as dark/tending to bitter type "stuff" rather than sweet/sugary.

I did look it up what is molasses and treacle, but unfortunately I've forgotten the detail. Molasses can be much darker and heavier than treacle (I think), they can feed it to horses and it's really thick stuff. Molasses and treacle and even golden syrup were "about more" years ago, before everyone became "anti-sugar". Back then, sugar wasn't as available, you didn't have it in everything you bought, so scoffing some golden syrup dumplings after the Sunday roast wasn't going to overload you as much as it would today when they put sugar in everything.

Isn't treacle molasses? I had a friend who's English cousin came to visit on summer and brought treacle toffees, they were pretty good. Maple syrup is much lighter than molasses.

Except for a jar I won at a raffle - one of DH's co-workers taps trees with his family every year and donated to the fund-raiser. Very dark and tastes like it is on the verge of being burnt. Another co-worker -who turns extra eggs into 4 quarts of maple syrup a year - says that it is because the other guy does a continuous boil ever the entire season, just keep adding more sap as they get it and that will produce a very dark, harsh tasting syrup. I will have to try some of the maple recipes with that junk.
I would use the dark maple syrup to make bread in place of the sugar. It might surprise you.

I personally prefer the darker maple syrup over the light...to me, it has more "body" and flavor.

Back
Top Bottom