Any Home Bakers Here?

I have not added bechamel to mashed potatoes. I have added sour cream though and it is very good in it.

I've had that too, I like it. Never made it myself though.

I had to look it up. It sounds like just a white sauce, so just milk, butter and flour. IMO the flour would not add anything to the potatoes. I would stick with the milk and butter - that's my favorite :drool

Mine as well! But I like trying new things too.

I really didn't know it was a thing until I saw it in a few cooking shows, and realised I've been making it this whole time, for mac and cheese. Now I want to make it and experiment. But if someone tells me it makes it awful, I won't use it. If it does nothing, which is likely (as you mentioned), I might stay away from it still, because why waste flour? If it makes a perfectly creamy, delicious masterpiece; I totally wanna try it.

See the sour cream, bacon crumbled parsley and oregano
Mmmmm, bacon :drool:love

See the sour cream, bacon crumbled parsley and oregano
Like a loaded potato - sounds tasty.
But, I never understood adding parsley - it doesn't have much flavor....or does it?

If it makes a perfectly creamy, delicious masterpiece; I totally wanna try it.
Then, I would try it and see how it turns out....it won't cause any problems with the dish, but please do report back with your final opine if you do try it :)

Can we throw some garlic into those potatoes too?
Two ways, the first is by boiling several cloves with the potatoes. The other is by crushing several cloves into melted butter and adding milk or cream. let it boil a minute and then add to the mashed potatoes.

I have a recipe:

Garlic Mashed Potatoes
6 servings
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 20 Minutes

• 2 pounds (6 medium) potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
  • 1 1/2 cups lowfat milk3 tablespoons butter or margarine
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
In large saucepan cook potatoes in 2 inches boiling water, covered, about 10 minutes until tender; drain thoroughly, then shake potatoes over low heat 1 to 2 minutes to dry thoroughly. Mash potatoes with potato masher or beat with electric hand mixer; reserve. Place milk, butter and garlic in small saucepan; set over medium-low heat and simmer until heated through, beat into potatoes until thoroughly mixed and fluffy. Mix in additional milk, if necessary, to reach desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper.

There are different types, maybe I've only tasted the wrong ones - which do you prefer?
I've only got 2 types growing. "Normal" curly and Italian. The curly one is the "stronger" I think, but all types are good. I'm sure there are varieties, but I've never looked into what they are.

A few chives, or garlic chives would be nice in the spuds. Also, I think a bit of aioli at the end could work if you wanted a bit of garlic flavour and didn't think about it earlier.

Back
Top Bottom