Any Home Bakers Here?

Pics
Welcome to the group Xiao Casa!!!!!
I have to agree no one can ever have to many recipes!! I have a special book for recipes I have received from friends and on line. NorthFLChick has typed out some amazing bread recipes and one I will be trying tomorrow.
Sunday dinner here will be fresh italian bread!!! with eggplant parm!!! oh i am excited
HAPPY BAKING
Jenn
Oh Jenn, good luck with the Italian bread tomorrow! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that it turns out delicious for you.

Tossing this out there as a shot in the dark --- several years back I had picked up a recipe for sugar cookies from another member of an online group. Eventually the group sort of drifted apart and I lost contact with this particular person and then I lost the recipe. What was so special about this particular recipe is it called for a good deal of sour cream in the recipe and the cookies were so light and soft, like little clouds in your mouth. I remember the "dough" was very sticky and a bit harder to work with than a typical cookie dough. She had said that the recipe was her grandmother's and she was, I believe, Scandinavian (?) - so perhaps that has something to do with the differences to traditional sugar cookies? Anyway - I have searched online and have not ever found anything close, but maybe someone here has a mysterious Scandinavian grandmother who has passed down a similar recipe?
Hi Ol Grey Mare, that's not like my mom's but I do have several sugar cookie recipes I can take a look at. They sound wonderful! Gotta love anything with sour cream in it, lol.

So nice to hear from both of you and Xiao Casa today!

Debby

Tossing this out there as a shot in the dark --- several years back I had picked up a recipe for sugar cookies from another member of an online group. Eventually the group sort of drifted apart and I lost contact with this particular person and then I lost the recipe. What was so special about this particular recipe is it called for a good deal of sour cream in the recipe and the cookies were so light and soft, like little clouds in your mouth. I remember the "dough" was very sticky and a bit harder to work with than a typical cookie dough. She had said that the recipe was her grandmother's and she was, I believe, Scandinavian (?) - so perhaps that has something to do with the differences to traditional sugar cookies? Anyway - I have searched online and have not ever found anything close, but maybe someone here has a mysterious Scandinavian grandmother who has passed down a similar recipe?
My Mother makes sourcream cookies, sounds just like them. I will ask her for the recipe when I talk with her this afternoon. They were soft and fluffy and when she frosted them oh my.....

Ladies!!!! I have made my first batch of home made pumpkin puree and it was so easy and allot cheaper then canned. I got these peach colored pumpkins from a local pumpkin patch the women who owns it said they are sweeter and not stringy like orange pumpkins tend to be for $1 a piece it was a 3 1/2 pounder and the sugar pumpkins where only a pound and cost $2. She was right when I cut into the beautiful fall fruit it smelled like melon but tasted like pumpkin. so today I will be making pumpkin pie!!!
Last night the chickens for the guts of the pumpkin and they loved it!!!
Happy Baking
Jenn

the Italian bread was AWESOME!!!!!!!
I ate more of it then I did the eggplant lol
Thanks for the recipe.

Just a thought I followed the directions to a T but I may suggest to use an egg wash on the top of the bread that way you have a beautiful shiny finish. Just an egg and a little water. I also added seasume seeds because I love love love them LOL

Happy Baking
Jenn

Yay Jenn! So glad you liked the bread recipe. I like your suggestion to use an egg wash instead of plain water...will have to try that the next time.

Looking forward to that sugar cookie recipe with the sour cream. That sounds really good right about now! hint hint hint lol

So here is my chocolate-chip banana bread recipe (I have metric measurements is parenthesis):

Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

Combine:
1/3 cup of oil (80ml)
1 cup of sugar (250ml)
1/4 cup of water or milk (60ml)

Add:
1-2 beaten eggs
2-3 mashed bananas
1 tsp. vanilla (5ml)
1 tsp. lemon juice, optional (5ml) (I don't use it, but you could try)

Combine separately and add:
2 cups flour (500ml)
1/2 tsp. salt (2ml)
1 tsp. baking soda (5ml)
1/4-1/2 tsp. cinnamon (1-2ml) (Use as much of this as you want, I doubt I ever put this little.)

Fold the flour mixture gently into the wet ingredients, being careful not to over-mix, until batter forms. (This is a quick bread so you will get a batter, not a dough.) Stir in 1/2-1 cup of chocolate-chips, pour into a greased loaf pan or 9*9 pan. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius) for 45-60 minutes, or until bread is golden brown and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Be sure you have your bananas mashed before you start doing everything else, it's very annoying to forget it and then have to mash them while you're in the middle of the recipe.

Thanks Xiao Casa, that sounds like the perfect thing to have with a cup of coffee!

It's really nice for breakfast. I think I need to try one of the carrot cake recipes here, we've got some carrots in the fridge and I have an itch to bake!

Baking people are the nicest people.
frow.gif
I'll check through here to make sure that a recipe for this type of bread hasn't been posted, but I have an awesome recipe for Challah bread. It's a braided yeast bread, absolutely gorgeous when complete.
smile.png
I just won first for my category and sweepstakes prize for the whole bread division in the Tulsa State Fair culinary competition. It was so exciting! I have to say that I love the process and smells of baking bread, or just baking in general. It's very peaceful.
smile.png
I'll try to post that recipe soon.

I also have a good cookie recipe if anyone is interested. Super soft chocolate chip.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I made Italian bread yesterday, nothing fancy but yummy.
I am yearning for some dinner rolls. I have downloaded a couple of recipes to try, I just don't need 2 dozen rolls for the 2 of us.
lau.gif

When we moved I had to leave the neighbors behind, and they took all my excess baking off my hands. I need to meet the neighbors here...

Back
Top Bottom