Any Home Bakers Here?

Pics
I love baking! I would love to make a home business out of it and sell breads to people! I love making yeast breads, sweet breads, muffins, pretty much anything.

Hi 2b1h,

Glad to have you join us! I took a quick peek at your blog and the first thing I saw was the French Bread recipe. Your instructions are very clear and pictures illustrate well (I especially liked the braiding directions, very helpful with the photos). Oh, and the pottery is gorgeous!

Noted you are in MI...my oldest son was in grad school in Ann Arbor and just finished up this spring so I'm somewhat familiar with your area. It was always fun to visit up there and such a pretty place.

Always good to have another baker on board so if you have something you want to share jump on in!

Debby

Hi 2b1h,

Glad to have you join us! I took a quick peek at your blog and the first thing I saw was the French Bread recipe. Your instructions are very clear and pictures illustrate well (I especially liked the braiding directions, very helpful with the photos). Oh, and the pottery is gorgeous!

Noted you are in MI...my oldest son was in grad school in Ann Arbor and just finished up this spring so I'm somewhat familiar with your area. It was always fun to visit up there and such a pretty place.

Always good to have another baker on board so if you have something you want to share jump on in!

Debby
I'm actually going to Grad School right now at EMU in Ypsilanti, The A2 area is really nice. I will be dropping more recipes on my blog soon and I'll put the links here if you like! My hope is to self-publish a small recipe book once I've collected enough of them. I'm still trying to find a theme though....

That bread recipe I posted today is so good, we had some with dinner...amazing.

Baking people are the nicest people.
frow.gif
I'll check through here to make sure that a recipe for this type of bread hasn't been posted, but I have an awesome recipe for Challah bread. It's a braided yeast bread, absolutely gorgeous when complete.
smile.png
I just won first for my category and sweepstakes prize for the whole bread division in the Tulsa State Fair culinary competition. It was so exciting! I have to say that I love the process and smells of baking bread, or just baking in general. It's very peaceful.
smile.png
I'll try to post that recipe soon.

I also have a good cookie recipe if anyone is interested. Super soft chocolate chip.
big_smile.png
Hi ans welcome. I would love the recipe as when I was growing up we always had challah bread available at the store and now that i live in AL it is hard to come by!

Is Challah an egg bread?

Yep, it is. When I made it a bit back, I used a recipe with weights instead of measurements. By the time I had the right weight in egg yolks, it was up to 12 eggs. Some of our girls are new to laying so theirs are small, it was a good way to use up their smallish ones.

Here's my challah recipe.

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water, divided
  • 1 packet active dry yeast
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 2 tbsp canola oil
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 4 1/2 to 6 cups flour
Instructions

1) Take your yeast and add a quarter cup of the lukewarm water to it in a large mixing bowl. Wait 10 minutes for it to be activated, should look foamy and frothy.

2) After your yeast has activated add the sugar, egg, egg yolks, honey, canola oil, and salt and mix it all together well.

3) Begin adding your flour by half-cupfuls. Make sure it has at least 4 and 1/2, but after that you're basically adding it until it reaches the right consistency. You want the dough to feel pliable and stretchy, but almost not sticky. This takes a few times to really figure it out and it may fluctuate from time to time. It will get hard to stir, but persevere!

4) Move the dough to a piece of parchment paper, wash out your mixing bowl, and coat the inside of the bowl with canola oil. Put the dough back in the bowl and flip to coat with the oil.

5) Time for it to rise! I boil a small saucepan of water and put it on the bottom rack of my oven. I cover the dough in the bowl with a clean dishtowel and put it on the top rack above the water.Close the oven, but DON'T TURN IT ON! The hot, steamy water with the closed environment allows optimum rising. Allow to rise for one hour.

6) Punch the dough back down in the bowl and allow to rise for one more hour.

7) Punch the dough down and then turn it out onto a floured surface. Knead for a few minutes.

8) Now comes the fun part! Divide the dough with a dough knife into three, four, or six equal portions. Roll them out into long strands. Braid them together. This takes a bit of practice. You can find YouTube tutorials or internet instructions for this, I'm not the best at describing how to do it. I've made a three-strand, four-strand, and six-strand braid. They're all beautiful! After braiding, put it on a large baking/cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.

9) After braiding, add one egg, a tablespoon of cold water, and a teaspoon of salt together and whisk till combined well. Brush it onto the loaf and let the loaf rise for another 30-45 minutes. Reserve the remaining egg wash.

10) Put the loaf into the oven at 350F. Let cook for 20 minutes and remove. Brush the remaining egg wash on and put it back into the oven facing the opposite direction it originally was. Cook for 20 more minutes. If it's getting to brown, tent it with foil for the remaining time.

11) When its cool enough to handle, move it off the baking sheet, otherwise the parchment paper becomes soggy and makes the bottom of the bread too soft. The way to make sure it's good and done is to thump it on the bottom. Hollow sound? It's done! Wait until fully cool to cut into it. That way the bread doesn't become too stale before it's time and is fresh to the end!

Hope you guys make it and enjoy it as much as I have!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom