Any Home Bakers Here?

Does anybody bake gingerbread houses… What about a ginger bread coop?

Great question - my son wants to make a gingerbread something this year (not sure if it'll end up a house, barn, coop or truck, lol) -from scratch. We've done the crappy hobby store kit stuff, but we're going to do it for real this time, so any recipes, etc for the ginger bread pieces would be great (got the icing no problem - plenty of varied cake experience w/all different sorts of icings, etc)

Wow, now I really want to try making sourdough, too. Only one problem... I'm moving out in 2 months and when that happens who will take care of the starter and bake the bread?? It's kinda like the time I made Amish friendship bread with my mom. I was pretty young then so I don't really know how long we did it, but it was at least a few months. Then we got lazy, stopped baking bread once a week, and the starter spoiled.

I made more chocolate chip banana bread today, from the same recipe I posted back on page 7. I was cleaning off the table so we could put on our Christmas tablecloth and accidentally tore the stems off the bananas when I lifted them up, (overripe bananas are just so fragile!) so I had to ether make banana bread or eat three super-overripe bananas.
sickbyc.gif
We have a big family, so I always double the recipe and pour the batter into a 9x13 pan and make four length-wise cuts. That way it makes four loaves.

Great question - my son wants to make a gingerbread something this year (not sure if it'll end up a house, barn, coop or truck, lol) -from scratch. We've done the crappy hobby store kit stuff, but we're going to do it for real this time, so any recipes, etc for the ginger bread pieces would be great (got the icing no problem - plenty of varied cake experience w/all different sorts of icings, etc)
I have one of the John Wrights Gingerbread Mold..I think the recipe is firm enough to roll and cut to whatever you want to try. Here's link to the recipe:

http://www.jwright.com/documents/Traditional Gingerbread House Recipe Instructions.pdf

May do the log cabin again this year. Love to smell the Gingerbread!

Last edited:
My kids & I made one from a kit once (the crappy hobby store kit stuff as Ol Grey Mare said, lol). Maybe homemade gingerbread would be more fun (and I'm sure tastier). Like the coop idea!

My kids & I made one from a kit once (the crappy hobby store kit stuff as Ol Grey Mare said, lol). Maybe homemade gingerbread would be more fun (and I'm sure tastier). Like the coop idea!
You can't eat them if you use the Royal Icing for glue - and I don't think the hard gingerbread needed for the structures would be easy to eat.

Has anyone every been to the Grove Park Inn in Asheville, NC during the gingerbread contest? The air is filled with gingerbread and the entries are awesome. They do have a online promo that gives recipes for large batch gingerbread house recipes and photos of past winners.

One of my friends made a beautiful gingerbread house one year at a workshop. She boxed it up and stored it in the attic to bring out next year, just like her instructor told her.
When she brought it out at Thanksgiving the next year and found out the mice obviously LOVED living in a gingerbread castle ...
big_smile.png

A cute craft that one of the local teachers does with their class is making gingerbread houses out of graham crackers. Nice and small and easy to do.

You can't eat them if you use the Royal Icing for glue - and I don't think the hard gingerbread needed for the structures would be easy to eat.

Has anyone every been to the Grove Park Inn in Asheville, NC during the gingerbread contest? The air is filled with gingerbread and the entries are awesome. They do have a online promo that gives recipes for large batch gingerbread house recipes and photos of past winners.

LOL, we just tasted the broken chips of gingerbread that were in the package. And any extra candies too, of course!

I'll have to check out the Grove Park Inn contest you mentioned. Bet they have some impressive ones. I think the best one I ever saw was on HGTV (I think) where the White House pastry chef made a replica of the White House. Whoa, that thing was huge!

Back
Top Bottom