Any Home Bakers Here?

I am back for Costco and bought a new bag of yeast--Two pounds of red star instant yeast for $4.49. I will be baking a lot of bread!
Wow @ronott1 , that's a lot of yeast, the price is unbelievable. Wish we had a Costco
sad.png

Wow @ronott1 , that's a lot of yeast, the price is unbelievable. Wish we had a Costco
sad.png

I know!

I also bought 25pounds of all purpose flour for $5.79. If I Splurge, I can get 20#s of Organic all purpose flour for something over ten dollars.

Hi all! I'm newish to this thread, but just wanted to pop in with a comment about flour....

I tried bobs red mill organic flour as I was having a coughing fit everytime I made bread. Same problem. Several years of research led me to a chemical called azodicarbamide. I asked bobs about it (they're not far from me) and after diving in the back to do a bit of research himself, the gentleman I talked to admitted that 1) it was in all their bulk plastic bags , and 2) as it was not regulated by the FDA due to minimal amounts used, ratio wise, it was possibly getting into the supply chain somewhere that they had no control over.

I also discovered, oddly enough, the more the flour aged, the more problems I was having. I even go gluten free sometimes just to avoid the burning esophagus and coughing fit.

I did get some Montana Wheat berries (both soft and hard wheat) a while back and when I use those to grind my own flour....no problems.

I'm also going to see about growing some......maybe wishful thinking....it's not like I don't have enough to do....:gig

Hi all! I'm newish to this thread, but just wanted to pop in with a comment about flour....

I tried bobs red mill organic flour as I was having a coughing fit everytime I made bread. Same problem. Several years of research led me to a chemical called azodicarbamide. I asked bobs about it (they're not far from me) and after diving in the back to do a bit of research himself, the gentleman I talked to admitted that 1) it was in all their bulk plastic bags , and 2) as it was not regulated by the FDA due to minimal amounts used, ratio wise, it was possibly getting into the supply chain somewhere that they had no control over.

I also discovered, oddly enough, the more the flour aged, the more problems I was having. I even go gluten free sometimes just to avoid the burning esophagus and coughing fit.

I did get some Montana Wheat berries (both soft and hard wheat) a while back and when I use those to grind my own flour....no problems.

I'm also going to see about growing some......maybe wishful thinking....it's not like I don't have enough to do....
gig.gif

Have you tried any of the flour from Azure Standard? They have good stuff and the drop it off--like a coop. They also have wheat and other grains you can grind.

https://www.azurestandard.com/

You likely have a drop that is local to you.

I'm also going to see about growing some......maybe wishful thinking....it's not like I don't have enough to do....
gig.gif

Welcome to our baking thread! It's always fun to have another baker around...everyone is great about sharing info and recipes. That's interesting about the wheat berries not causing you any problems. One of our other regulars on here does her own wheat milling too I believe (@wyoDreamer correct me if I'm wrong please).

@ronott1 those are amazing prices for the quantities at Costco. I think the closest one to us is over 2 hours away (over 4 hours round trip). But good to know in case we're ever out that way.

Welcome to our baking thread! It's always fun to have another baker around...everyone is great about sharing info and recipes. That's interesting about the wheat berries not causing you any problems. One of our other regulars on here does her own wheat milling too I believe (@wyoDreamer
 correct me if I'm wrong please).

Thank you! Happy to be here, I've got lots of baking planned now that it's cooling down.....gonna try several of the recent ones posted here first.

Great interview btw. I am making my coop clean out doors latch on the INSIDE, thanks to your story of getting "accidentally " locked in the coop :/

Back
Top Bottom