Any Home Bakers Here?

@shortgrass
thumbsup.gif

Thanks for info, I didn't realize they were sweeter when grown in fall and after a freeze, like collards. Have only had those fall/winter beets, so maybe that's why ours were so sweet.

Hope those eating beets this week will rate them for sweetness.

Sure thing! :)

They're the first thing I plant in spring, and the last thing harvested in fall; actually causes problems sometimes lol. I went overboard and planted 18 rows of beets for spring, canned those, and the 18 rows for fall are mostly still in the ground lol; the chooks ate off the tops during harvest clean up, and I got lazy trying to find them and now have to wait until snowmelt to get them dug so I can plant for spring! :p

But they are most definitely sweeter after frost, like a parsnip too.. I've never grown collards, so I did not know that; thank you in return ;)

Last edited:
I'll let you all know the "sweetness rating" on the ones we have tonight. Does a scale of 1-5 work?
lol.png

Oh I made them. LOL I made an absolute MESS
gig.gif
of them, I think I flipped them before I needed to and the brown sugar burned slightly. I didn't do the cream cheese frosting either, I thought with the brown sugar they would be sweet enough as well. Hubby ate 3 of them, so they weren't too bad I suppose (or he felt really sorry for me). I will probably try them again, but maybe a little less butter and brown sugar, and of course, flip them at the right time
smile.png

Now I want beets too!
I didn't grow any this year and all my spiced pickled beets are long gone. I do plan on growing them again this year though. I figure to can some and then I usually put some in the freezer as well. I think my chickens will like the beet greens as well.
Beet greens are also excellent in your own salad!! I love the greens!!! especially the nice young leaves.

I'll let you all know the "sweetness rating" on the ones we have tonight. Does a scale of 1-5 work? :lol:

Works for me lol ;)

It's really weird, the sugar beets from the field, the white ones, taste HORRIBLE fresh or really any way you try to cook them; I really don't know how they managed to make it to be the 2nd most available form of sugar :p

I suppose because the red ones don't get near as big, and not a lot if people would buy pink sugar, but I could be wrong lol ;)

Can i make my sour dough starter in a old spaghetti sauce jar instead of a bowl?
Make or keep?

Freshly made starter takes some time to get going.

I have some dried starter ready to mail to people. Let me know if you want me to mail you a start.

This will work to make sourdough:

http://breadtopia.com/make-your-own-sourdough-starter/

Notice the jar he uses to keep starter. The important thing is to allow the gas out without breaking the jar. A regular lidded jar will break because of the pressure.

Oh I made them. LOL I made an absolute MESS :gig of them, I think I flipped them before I needed to and the brown sugar burned slightly. I didn't do the cream cheese frosting either, I thought with the brown sugar they would be sweet enough  as well. Hubby ate 3 of them, so they weren't too bad I suppose (or he felt really sorry for me). I will probably try them again, but maybe a little less butter and brown sugar, and of course, flip them at the right time:)

Now I want beets too!
I didn't grow any this year and all my spiced pickled beets are long gone. I do plan on growing them again this year though.  I figure to can some and then I usually put some in the freezer as well. I think my chickens will like the beet greens as well.

Oh my, I'm glad your hubby liked them though. Well you know what they say, "If at first you don't succeed, try try again." :lol:

Thank you ron well that means i need a new jar moohaha lol i am having to much fun today lucy had a buddy over that is several years older and we had fun baking we made two loafs banana bread, two loafs white bread(new recipe i tried from someone on here), and two loafs french bread. I am about to put the lasagna in the oven finally

Back
Top Bottom