Any Home Bakers Here?

I have always been told to not use metal implements with Sourdough starters... the sourdough will react with the metal.
Storage should be in glass or a crock. Metal utensils, pans and etc. is fine for the mixing, rising and baking parts.

Sourdough is not more reactive than tomatoes--they can be cooked in metal but not cast iron. Stainless steel and aluminium will not react much to the acid either.

use a kitchenaid mixer and dough hook for kneading and raising. The dough is in metal for several hours and there is no problem with it.

Can i make my sour dough starter in a old spaghetti sauce jar instead of a bowl?

Depends how big the jar is. Unless it's a big one you may find it overflows everywhere. I went up two jar sizes from my original planned one :) I use a glass pickling jar though with one of those sort of ceramic clip lids but I removed the wire and rubber seal so it's just the ceramic stopper. You don't want it too airtight and the lid sitting on without the sealing bit is perfect.

Last edited:
I baked a beet last night for dinner. Even though it wasn't very large, it took more than an hour to get done so we tasted it after dinner. (An after dinner beet anyone?
big_smile.png
) I'd give it a 4 on the sweetness scale of 1-5. It was tasty and even DH surprised himself with liking it. I'll fix these again and try to get the timing right.

Ha-ha @NorthFLChick, it wanted to be dessert! ;)

I'm happy to hear hubby liked them; lol its nerve wracking serving something new around here lol; might as well be a 3 eyed fish the way they look at dinner sometimes :p

They're hard little buggers, wouldn't think they needed to cook that long. I've never baked them (yet) so that's good to know ;)

Ha-ha @NorthFLChick , it wanted to be dessert!
wink.png

I'm happy to hear hubby liked them; lol its nerve wracking serving something new around here lol; might as well be a 3 eyed fish the way they look at dinner sometimes
tongue.png

They're hard little buggers, wouldn't think they needed to cook that long. I've never baked them (yet) so that's good to know
wink.png

They are hard little buggers, lol. I think my oven temp is set ok (everything else comes out on time) so it had to be the hard beet. I'd rather have them ready before dinner than after so I'll keep that in mind next time.

Nerve wracking is right! DH doesn't mind trying new things but they better be good, lol.

They are hard little buggers, lol. I think my oven temp is set ok (everything else comes out on time) so it had to be the hard beet. I'd rather have them ready before dinner than after so I'll keep that in mind next time.

Nerve wracking is right! DH doesn't mind trying new things but they better be good, lol.

The only one's I have ever baked were home grown and all were quite small.

The only one's I have ever baked were home grown and all were quite small.

We did like the taste of the beet, that was a new thing for us to have them baked. Thanks for the tips on how to prepare!

Quote:
Rons starter works fast and is very good I recommend it!
wink.png

Ha-ha @NorthFLChick , it wanted to be dessert!
wink.png

I'm happy to hear hubby liked them; lol its nerve wracking serving something new around here lol; might as well be a 3 eyed fish the way they look at dinner sometimes
tongue.png

They're hard little buggers, wouldn't think they needed to cook that long. I've never baked them (yet) so that's good to know
wink.png
Mine always pullout the PB&J.
I usually make things I want to try but for Beets I use them in my juicer to sweeten the collards and kale.
droolin.gif

Trying to get a neglected garden going so I have been doing a lot of pasta salads.

they are 24 oz glass jars they are air tight witn the lid so i was thinking i could punch holes but if its to small to start it inthe i going to have to figure something else out. I only have plastic and metal bowls.

Back
Top Bottom