Any Home Bakers Here?

My mum did not bake fancy cakes. I remember she used to make date and nut roll, and the Dolly Vardens for birthdays. I'm pretty sure she used to make a plain cake, no layers. She either had a special tin which was the shape of the skirt, or she did it in a pudding bowl or something. She was no great expert in cake decorating and those cakes used to wow all the kids (but we didn't have so much other neat stuff, back in the "olden" days, and not the internet to compare what we had to what somebody else has LOL). You can achieve something at the lower end of skill and effort, or produce some of those magnificent works of art. She had the icing "thingie" and that was about it.

I can't wait to see the finished product, it's going to be fabulous! The suspense is killing me.... LOL

(Just keep in mind that you will have to get good at cakes after this. You won't be able to whip out a jam roll from the supermarket at subsequent birthdays.... You'll have set a standard which you'll have to keep up. LOL)

So I want to make a blue cake for thing 2 second Birthday. She worships her big sister and big sis is very into princesses, so little sis is into princesses. I thought I would try to make a princess cake. I have a bunch of tiered cake pans, thought I would make a three tiered blue cake with purple frosting between the layers and pink frosting over the cake. I found some little purple candy pearls for decoration. I would love to decorate more, but do not think I have the skill. I am limited with what I can buy because I have one little boy who is severly allergic to peanuts. Any great ideas?

Just now seeing this post, last month was my daughters 4th birthday and she wanted a Barbie/princess cake so my friend made one and used buttercream frosting to make the dress and some edible pearl beads for the dress it was pretty and tasty too. She made two cakes a dress one a a flat one that the dress sits on. Here's a pic.

Just now seeing this post, last month was my daughters 4th birthday and she wanted a Barbie/princess cake so my friend made one and used buttercream frosting to make the dress and some edible pearl beads for the dress it was pretty and tasty too. She made two cakes a dress one a a flat one that the dress sits on. Here's a pic.
Nice Job!

Very Pretty!

So I want to make a blue cake for thing 2 second Birthday. She worships her big sister and big sis is very into princesses, so little sis is into princesses. I thought I would try to make a princess cake. I have a bunch of tiered cake pans, thought I would make a three tiered blue cake with purple frosting between the layers and pink frosting over the cake. I found some little purple candy pearls for decoration. I would love to decorate more, but do not think I have the skill. I am limited with what I can buy because I have one little boy who is severly allergic to peanuts. Any great ideas?

Agreed that is pretty

Thank you sunflour!! If I have time I want to do these for graduation.

You are welcome.  Hope you like it.  

I had my doubts - sounds like a lot of oil - but it makes for a really moist cake - but the texture looks somewhat coarse.

DH loves RV cake - and this is his favorite.

Could you switch out half of the oil for Applesauce? I usually do, it makes for a great tasting cake.

Back
Top Bottom