Any Home Bakers Here?

We are diabetic so I make scones for us. The require very little sugar. I put a teaspoon in to make a dozen or more scones. I usually add some kind of fruit. Back to work, cleaning out chicken coops today.

Last edited:
We are diabetic so I make scones for us. The require very little sugar. I put a teaspoon in to make a dozen or more scones. I usually add some kind of fruit. Back to work, cleaning out chicken coops today.

How do you go with the flour etc though? Isn't it carbs you have to worry about as much if not more than the sugar? I ask as I made scones for my sister but she said the carbs in them still made them a no no with her diabetes? I find it all very confusing.

but she said the carbs in them still made them a no no with her diabetes? I find it all very confusing.
Basically, carbohydrates break down into sugar. Some break down quickly and some don't. It's the slow-breaking down ones which are the best and are needed to keep the blood sugar levels stable. It's the glycaemic index (how quickly the food is converted to blood sugar) that needs to be considered.
http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fi...arbohydrates/glycemic-index-and-diabetes.html

People without diabetes can get a "sugar rush" or a sugar low without ill-effect, but diabetics need to keep things stable and constant and not have highs and lows. They need to eat so that their blood sugar stays as stable as possible.

Basically, carbohydrates break down into sugar. Some break down quickly and some don't. It's the slow-breaking down ones which are the best and are needed to keep the blood sugar levels stable. It's the glycaemic index (how quickly the food is converted to blood sugar) that needs to be considered.
http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fi...arbohydrates/glycemic-index-and-diabetes.html

People without diabetes can get a "sugar rush" or a sugar low without ill-effect, but diabetics need to keep things stable and constant and not have highs and lows. They need to eat so that their blood sugar stays as stable as possible.
Type II diabetes is insulin resistance. Type I diabetes is not enough insulin or none produced.

People without diabetes can eat sugar or simple carbs, insulin is released and blood sugar is controlled. If there is no insulin resistance, blood sugar will not go over 150. If there is insulin resistance it can go very high, 700 or so. Type I can go even higher.

Short term is bad enough but long term causes bad problems because the sugar in the blood acts like knives--destroying blood vessels and killing off nerves. Since there is no good sugar control, blood sugar can go too low also--causing comas.

Very good information on the complex carbs vs. simple carbs!

Back
Top Bottom