Any Home Bakers Here?

I was looking for recipes for dinner rolls, but most recipes online don't call for any egg... I found a couple on here I might try, and noticed they have egg... So I was curious to find out what exactly the difference is. Found a good article, thought I'd share...

https://www.leaf.tv/articles/what-eggs-do-in-yeast-bread/

What are your guys' opinions, use egg or not?

That was a great read. Here is my recipe for Classic Dinner Rolls. It does use an egg.

Classic Dinner Rolls

3 ½ to 3 ¾ cups AP or Bread flour
¼ c sugar
1 pkg (Rapid Rise or Regular) yeast (2 ¼ tsp)
½ cup water
¼ c soft butter or margarine
1 tsp salt
½ cup milk
1 LG egg
1 tsp melted butter or margarine

I proof the yeast.
In a large bowl mix 2 cups of the flour soft butter, salt and mix.
(option, you can combine the sugar, yeast with the ingredients above and add the warm water to the milk)
Or add the proofed yeast and mix.
Warm the milk either in a pan on the stove or in a microwave safe container in the microwave.
Add the warm milk and the egg to the mix and beat on low speed for 1 minute.
( mix the warm water with the milk if you're putting the sugar and yeast directly in the flour)
Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl occasionally and beat for another minute.
Combine the rest of the flour a little at a time until the remaining flour is incorporated .
Knead the dough on a floured countertop for around 5 minutes. (I use my KitchenAid with the dough hook)
Place dough in a greased bowl and turn dough to grease all sides. Cover the bowl loosely with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for around 1 hour

Spray the bottom and sides of a 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray.
Deflate the dough and cut into 15 equal pieces and shape each piece into a ball, place in pan and brush dough balls with the melted butter.
Cover the pan loosely with plastic wrap and let the dough balls rise until double in size.

Put the oven rack just below the middle of the oven and heat the oven to 375°F.
Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. For a softer crust brush the tops of the warm rolls with butter. Remove from the pan. Serve warm or cooled.

Last edited:
Awesome! Thanks @ronott1 and @cmom :)

I knew I could count on you guys to provide me with not one, but TWO recipes to decide on! :p

I'm making both tonight (fingers crossed that baby stays asleep lol) and testing them out for turkey day! Can't wait; I love the smell of yeast in the house :D

I can't remember who asked about blind baking.... But I have to do some, and was looking for extra tips and ideas, and ran across this.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/03/science-of-pie-7-myths-that-need-to-go-away.html

I was not wanting to use beans for weights; they always leave dimples... I never thought of using sugar!

Interesting article @shortgrass

I noticed the author was an editor for Cooks Illustrated...great magazine with some very good explanations for why recipes work the way they do.

Well that's weird...it was supposed to be THIS article...
http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/10/how-to-blind-bake-a-pie-crust.html

My fingers must have gotten tappy happy I posted the wrong article lol...but that was a good one too!

Glad I'm learning all these tricks when I'm already halfway through my baking life :p

* I love the science in baking, so much more than just flour water yeast bake :D

Last edited:
Well that's weird...it was supposed to be THIS article...
http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/10/how-to-blind-bake-a-pie-crust.html

My fingers must have gotten tappy happy I posted the wrong article lol...but that was a good one too!

Glad I'm learning all these tricks when I'm already halfway through my baking life
tongue.png

* I love the science in baking, so much more than just flour water yeast bake
big_smile.png

Funny!

Made a key lime pie and some rolls for Thanksgiving. Just hubby and I this year. We roasted a small turkey yesterday and made the rolls and today we're cooking the rest of our meal and I made the pie.
Hubby couldn't wait.

Made a key lime pie and some rolls for Thanksgiving. Just hubby and I this year. We roasted a small turkey yesterday and made the rolls and today we're cooking the rest of our meal and I made the pie.
Hubby couldn't wait.

Is the recipe for the pie in the index?

Lovely rolls..
jumpy.gif

I made Honey Wheat Rolls earlier in the week and froze them. They were OK today, but a little dry on the outsides after reheat. I've done them and froze before , but had not heated the thawed ones in the oven in the past.

Back
Top Bottom