Any Home Bakers Here?

Okay folks, before I give up all together on Sourdough, for now, does anyone have a good No Knead Whole Wheat Sourdough recipe? It would be really nice to find a recipe with all/mostly whole wheat flour. Whole wheat sourdough is about the only bread I can eat, in moderation, without raising my blood sugar levels.
And, I'm one of those people who has a hard time learning by just watching someone else do something or by just reading how to do something. So, until I can take a class on sourdough bread making, I think I need to stick to anything no knead when it comes to sourdough. So much of bread making involves feel, and I just don't seem to have a feel for sourdough.

Okay folks, before I give up all together on Sourdough, for now, does anyone have a good No Knead Whole Wheat Sourdough recipe? It would be really nice to find a recipe with all/mostly whole wheat flour. Whole wheat sourdough is about the only bread I can eat, in moderation, without raising my blood sugar levels.
And, I'm one of those people who has a hard time learning by just watching someone else do something or by just reading how to do something. So, until I can take a class on sourdough bread making, I think I need to stick to anything no knead when it comes to sourdough. So much of bread making involves feel, and I just don't seem to have a feel for sourdough.
I do! The recipe uses grams and is a good way to make bread. I recommend getting a good kitchen scale. Be sure to watch the video!

Sourdough Table loaf

310 G bread flour
80 G Whole Wheat
60 G starter
300 G tepid water
10 G salt

Combine First 4 ingredients and mix for 3 to 4 minutes to hydrate flour. Let rest for 20 minutes.

Add salt by sprinkling on dough. Spritz water on top if needed. Work salt into dough—not necessarily kneading Until you do not feel salt.

Cover and let proof for 3 to 4 hours. Every 30 minutes, stretch and fold dough

Use bowl scraper to move dough to floured surface. Roughly shape and turn over. Let rest 20 minutes.

Shape for basket by using stitching to seem and roll over with block scraper. Generously sprinkle flour over top. Put in basket(can use a bowl lined with floured terry cloth) seam side up. Cover with cloth, then put onto plastic bag. Refrigerate 8 to 24 hours.

Take out of fridge and let proof While baker(can use a cookie sheet or pizza stone sprinkled with corn meal) is warming up at 450F

Bread goes onto parchment paper and is scored. Move to pre heated baker and bake 20 minutes with lid on. Take of lid and bake 10 minutes

Susan, This is Whole Wheat Sourdough Jim Lahey (Jim is one of the
original No Knead Breads idea)
1/2 cup sourdough starter 1 cup plus 1 T warm water 1 1/4 cup and
2/3 cup whole wheat flour 1 tsp salt (he does use some white bread flour...but you can use All Whole Wheat Flour). He mixes in a bowl..
an let sit covered for 30 minutes. 5 turns and fold on lightly floured
board. Cover with towel on parchment paper ...tin sprinkled with wheat bran 2 1/2 - 3 hours. REST Place in 450 degree oven covered with
a stainless steel bowl on top (like a dutch oven) 30 minutes ...remove
bowl and brown 10 minutes. You can use a dutch oven but Jim uses
a cookie sheet with parchment. Aria

Made my DH's birthday cake today. This year, he wanted Chocolate Stout Cake. It's a King Arthur Flour recipe found HERE. It's wonderfully delicious, very rich, and quite heavy. Freezes nicely too. :)

I must confess that I sort of screwed it up this time. I yanked out my cake pans and didn't realize that they were the 8-inch pans when I should have used 9-inch pans. Took a lot longer to cook. Oh well ... DH will still like it.

chocolatestoutcake.jpg

Made my DH's birthday cake today. This year, he wanted Chocolate Stout Cake. It's a King Arthur Flour recipe found HERE. It's wonderfully delicious, very rich, and quite heavy. Freezes nicely too. :)

I must confess that I sort of screwed it up this time. I yanked out my cake pans and didn't realize that they were the 8-inch pans when I should have used 9-inch pans. Took a lot longer to cook. Oh well ... DH will still like it.

View attachment 2037187

Looks good! Enjoy the birthday :D

Susan, This is Whole Wheat Sourdough Jim Lahey (Jim is one of the
original No Knead Breads idea)
1/2 cup sourdough starter 1 cup plus 1 T warm water 1 1/4 cup and
2/3 cup whole wheat flour 1 tsp salt (he does use some white bread flour...but you can use All Whole Wheat Flour). He mixes in a bowl..
an let sit covered for 30 minutes. 5 turns and fold on lightly floured
board. Cover with towel on parchment paper ...tin sprinkled with wheat bran 2 1/2 - 3 hours. REST Place in 450 degree oven covered with
a stainless steel bowl on top (like a dutch oven) 30 minutes ...remove
bowl and brown 10 minutes. You can use a dutch oven but Jim uses
a cookie sheet with parchment. Aria
Thanks!

View attachment 2037187
Very Pretty Cake!

Back
Top Bottom