Any Home Bakers Here?

Wow I’ve seen those but never used one. I have a microwave/convection oven I have loved to death. Microwave works fine not no longer convects. It was great to bake pies or whatever in the summer because it didn’t heat up the house so bad. Also how many times do you really need to heat up a giant oven? I loved that feature and I should replace it. Air fryer would be less expensive but my kitchen is already stuffed!
Oh and I enjoy reading about your GF journey!
Thank you.
I'm with you on heating up the oven, especially if it's already hot out. There are some nice little mini counter top ovens these days, but the airfryer can cook so many things. I haven't even scratched the surface with my books that swear they can bake desserts and everything.
I know I keep seeing commercials for these all in ones...bakes, fries, steams, etc...seems too good to be true.

Remember those old Ronko Rotisserie ovens that you can do a whole bird in? Really popular about 20 years ago and cost about $120 at the time. I was jonesing around my local K-Mart one day several years back and spotted the rotisserie oven for only $9. :eek:

Yes, I just had to grab it. ...(yes, it's still in the box......🤫 shhhh)
But yeah, the airfryer is worth it. Makes awesome "fried" foods for those looking to indulge in healthy ways. Even kiddo like the zucchini fritter hushpuppy things I make.

The non poisonous ones? Apparently you found them since you were able to post.

Nope, no holes at all. I did the stretch and fold several more times than your modified recipe called for because it clearly didn't look right. Frankly I don't know how it is supposed to rise much at all given the puny amount of starter specified and no yeast. Which means I'm doing something wrong. I let it rise in the oven proofing at 100° given it was only 63° in the house (we will NOT turn the furnaces back on in June!!!!!!!)

I don't know for sure and yeah the 2 cups of starter sure does seem like a lot but it works AND requires yeast as well. I ASSUME some of that is due to the relatively short time between mix and bake. It is an easy one to make, I've been kneading it in the KA mixer on 2 though this time the dough blob ended up outside the hook and I did a little hand kneading in the bowl to finish it off.
Well I did it as Ron suggested, used 2 cups of Penny Jo (which was fine because she was trying to crawl out of her jar), the rest of my expired yeast and now it’s in the fridge till tomorrow. I did it in the KA, this time it formed more of a smooth ball so although still sticky it was much easier to work with.

Today's sourdough bread is out!

It is the modified Champlain sourdough bread recipe in the index

View attachment 2170289
Pretty!
I put a pork loin in the oven with potatoes, carrots, celery, onion and a cup of sweet red wine and a cup of chicken broth. Seasoned it with salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme, basil, garlic, salt and pepper.

I bought a nutri pot and a nuwave air fryer oven but I am having problems finding cooking times for the air fryer. I bought a cook book for both. But all the recipes for the air fryer say cook for 20 min check then another 20 min keep checking till it's done. It's to frustrating for me. lol So I use it for a toaster. lol
I have a Nuwave that I use for bacon only. Nothing else cooked decent in there other then hotdogs or breakfast sausage.
Well, I'm one step closer to perfecting my home ground whole wheat bread. I used Aria's recipe for white bread, added a 1/4 cup of vital gluten and I can now fold the slices without them breaking. Taste is great. Texture is wonderful. I need to work on my rolling technique to form the loaf. Oh, and I cooked and prepared the dough consistent with the King Arthur 100% wheat bread recipe.

Ready for the oven
View attachment 2170486
Just out of the oven
View attachment 2170487View attachment 2170488
Looks yummy, nice job!
Well, they are the ugliest bagels I've ever made. I think next time I'll soak the raisins in warm water prior to adding. The dough was way too dry after the first rise and I had a hard time getting them into a ball. I suspect that the raisins stole water from the dough. But, they are really tastey. :drool

View attachment 2170631
Nice job, I love bagels.
Today I’m making a sourdough recipe that you bake in a loaf pan. I don’t remember whose it was. Fairly simple, mix and bake the same day. We’re having soup again tonight But the English Muffins are gone so I had to do something! I’m letting it rise in a bowl on Cookie sheet on a pot of bone broth that’s cooling. Seems to be working well. The things we do to avoid store bought crackers or bread.
I make mine in a bread pan also. It got too hard for me in a dutch oven. I think Ron posted the recipe. It has 4 ingredients.
Those look delicious!
View attachment 2171797
@Grammy60 I had help from the muppets so ours turned out blue and white. I used a slightly different recipe but bookmarked yours for the next batch.
Did you use frozen berries that were thawed?
I just pulled 50 Italian meatballs out of the oven. I made them with a mix of 2 lb. ground beef, 1 lb. ground pork and a bunch of seasonings, panko crumbs, eggs, mozzarella cheese. We'll get a lot of mileage out of those (I love having stuff prepared and ready to go).
They sound delicious!
Oh that sounds like fun! I hope you’ll post some pics! Heaven help us all we need something to look at besides rioters!
Agree!
Thank you.
I'm with you on heating up the oven, especially if it's already hot out. There are some nice little mini counter top ovens these days, but the airfryer can cook so many things. I haven't even scratched the surface with my books that swear they can bake desserts and everything.
I know I keep seeing commercials for these all in ones...bakes, fries, steams, etc...seems too good to be true.

Remember those old Ronko Rotisserie ovens that you can do a whole bird in? Really popular about 20 years ago and cost about $120 at the time. I was jonesing around my local K-Mart one day several years back and spotted the rotisserie oven for only $9. :eek:

Yes, I just had to grab it. ...(yes, it's still in the box......🤫 shhhh)
But yeah, the airfryer is worth it. Makes awesome "fried" foods for those looking to indulge in healthy ways. Even kiddo like the zucchini fritter hushpuppy things I make.
I have a Ninja Foodi that I use for several things. It’s supposed to do baking and all that but I mostly use it as an air fryer.

This sour dough bread turned out much better then my last loaf. I didn’t forget about it. It was 97 out so I let it rise on our deck in the shade so it rose nicely. It looks a little light but it was done.
FDC9BC26-0C15-44E1-9603-166B0F920033.jpeg

Pretty!

I have a Nuwave that I use for bacon only. Nothing else cooked decent in there other then hotdogs or breakfast sausage.

Looks yummy, nice job!

Nice job, I love bagels.

I make mine in a bread pan also. It got too hard for me in a dutch oven. I think Ron posted the recipe. It has 4 ingredients.

Those look delicious!

Did you use frozen berries that were thawed?

They sound delicious!

Agree!

I have a Ninja Foodi that I use for several things. It’s supposed to do baking and all that but I mostly use it as an air fryer.

Thats funny. I use it for bacon and sausage patties and toast. :lau

Did a recipe in the air fyer for flavored potato cut in wedges sprinkle smoked paprika, salt and 2 tblsp of olive oil (optional) did bake 15 to 20 minutes depending on size of potato 400 degrees they where awful good bet a oven would work we used a gallon bag shaking did not read right added parmesan then also guess it should have been at the end :celebrate

Thanks for sharing. I will have to try that recipe. Sounds good.

Back
Top Bottom