Any Home Bakers Here?

I am baking a batch of yeast bread today, using my KitchenAid mixer to do the heavy lifting for me. I tried this yesterday and it ended up a dismal failure. I had to throw the dough away because it did not rise! :hit Not sure if the yeast was dead (instant rise, I did not proof it as I usually do but just put it on top of the dry ingredients and mixed it all together the way a bread machine would), or if I didn't knead it long enough in the mixer (about 3 minutes on medium low). It certainly FELT right, but it just sat there and looked at me all day, though I tried proofing it in a lightly warmed oven (the light fixture is dead). I've done this before also, I turn the oven on and set the timer for two minutes, then turn it off when the timer goes off. It gets the oven just barely warm. Sigh. Hope for better results today!

I am baking a batch of yeast bread today, using my KitchenAid mixer to do the heavy lifting for me. I tried this yesterday and it ended up a dismal failure. I had to throw the dough away because it did not rise! :hit Not sure if the yeast was dead (instant rise, I did not proof it as I usually do but just put it on top of the dry ingredients and mixed it all together the way a bread machine would), or if I didn't knead it long enough in the mixer (about 3 minutes on medium low). It certainly FELT right, but it just sat there and looked at me all day, though I tried proofing it in a lightly warmed oven (the light fixture is dead). I've done this before also, I turn the oven on and set the timer for two minutes, then turn it off when the timer goes off. It gets the oven just barely warm. Sigh. Hope for better results today!
I believe most of us have had some bad baking
experience. Forget it...and go forward. Today is
another day, Aria

For instant yeast, the process is to mix the dry ingredients just shy of the amount of flour to be used and heat the liquid to about 125F. You then mix with a spoon of flat beater for a couple of minutes. Then add the rest of the flour.

The yeast needs to be at 85F to 105F to proof so the yeas likely did not proof for you.

Let me know if you want a rapid yeast bread recipe!

That doesn't make sense to me Ron. I'm using saf-instant straight out of the refrigerator and just add it to the dry ingredients before adding any liquids then let the KA knead it for me. The "warm" water is always straight out of the tap so 115 to 120°F
that is pretty much it!

If the water added to the dry ingredients is 85F, the dry ingredients will lower the temp and the yeast will either not proof or proof slowly. If you add liquid at 120 to 125 to the dry ingredients, it will be at 105F when it cools from the dry ingredients.

The difference between instant and non instant yeast is the removal of a membrane. With regular yeast, you have to let the yeast proof in water at 105F to break down the membrane.

Back
Top Bottom