Any Home Bakers Here?

Nope, baking soda is pure sodium bicarbonate. What you are thinking of is Baking Powder which is usually cornstarch, sodium aluminum sulfate, calcium sulfate and monocalcium phosphate.

Rumford makes a version that is corn starch, sodium bicarbonate and monocalcium phosphate.

A homemade version can be made by mixing one part baking soda to one part cornstarch and two parts cream of tartar.
Thank you. I will have too buy cream of tartar :)

When you shape it, use cornmeal to keep it from sticking (or a mixture of cornmeal and flour). I learned that at one of the pizza places I worked at, and now I always have cornmeal on hand. You could also add more flour to the dough so it isn't a sticky dough. If it does stick with the cornmeal, usually jiggling the pizza peel will distribute the cornmeal to the places that are stuck. If you don't have a pizza peel, grab a large pinch of the cornmeal and slide your hand underneath to put it where it needs to go.
I hope that helps!
Thank you!

GirlChild and I are in Baking Mode today, lol. I got up early and made 6 dozen chocolate chip cookies. The she got up and made another 6 doz of same. Now the kitchen is clean again and I'm going to bake a batch of butter cookies with m&m's. Simple, but yummy. These are all going in our Christmas boxes for the needy that our church is preparing. Not sure if we will make other cookies/candies as well. Might do "haystacks," the candy made by pouring melted chips over Chow mein noodles. ... Or almond bark dipped mini pretzel squares. So fun! :celebrate

From Clabber Girl:

"Baking powder is used for baking. It is made up of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda); an acid salt which reacts with moisture or heat, or both – such as tartaric acid, mono-calcium or combination of acid salts; and cornstarch (used to keep ingredients separated)."

From theSpruceEats:

"Mix the baking soda and cream of tartar together until well combined. This will give you one tablespoon of baking powder.

If you plan to store your baking powder, add a teaspoon of cornstarch to the mixture, and stir. This will absorb any moisture from the air, and prevent the baking powder from clumping or reacting before you need it. Store in an air-tight container between uses to keep the baking soda fresh."
Well, I never thought the answer would be so easy to find on the “interwebs.”

Thanks, @R2elk! From your info, as long as I mix and use it as I go, cornstarch isn’t necessary. Good to know.

Back
Top Bottom