Any Home Bakers Here?

I'm making DH a loaf of "Betsy Bread" (named for neighbor who gave me the recipe). I'm putting a little bit of SDS in it this time, to see how it goes.

I proof my yeast for each loaf, and I think my current jar of yeast is dead. So I got out the new jar. It didn't look very lively either, but better than the first try. The dough looks about right, so we'll see what happens in a couple of hours.

I'm making DH a loaf of "Betsy Bread" (named for neighbor who gave me the recipe). I'm putting a little bit of SDS in it this time, to see how it goes.

I proof my yeast for each loaf, and I think my current jar of yeast is dead. So I got out the new jar. It didn't look very lively either, but better than the first try. The dough looks about right, so we'll see what happens in a couple of hours.
I buy fast acting yeast from Amazon and store it in a tupperware container in the fridge. It lasts about 6 months that way-- until I use it up! It did seem a bit less punchy at the end last time but still worked fine!

Recipe is ALWAYS wanted. Aria

Recipe is ALWAYS wanted. Aria
I'll post it after I see how it turns out. If it's a mess, then I'll admit I wasted the time/ingredients and try again tomorrow.

This is for a bread machine, BTW. I've never tried to do it by hand.

Here's the basic recipe; see notes at the end.

BETSY BREAD

1 cup water, 100-110 degrees F
1 3/4 teaspoons yeast
2 tablespoons sugar
338 grams white flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup old fashioned oatmeal
2 tablespoons instant mashed potato flakes
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon honey

Put sugar and yeast in bread pan. Pour warm water over and proof for 10 minutes.
Mix flour, salt, potato flakes and oatmeal in a separate bowl.
After the yeast is proofed, add the oil and honey to the pan.
Add dry ingredients to the pan.
Put the pan in the machine. Select 2 pound loaf and light crust.

Notes
The pan for this machine is roughly 5"x10" and I had to adjust the original recipe because the loaf was too big.
I measure flour in grams, as that's more repeatable. My results were inconsistent when I tried to measure the flour. :oops: I don't know how many cups 338 grams of my flour is.

Here's a convenient way to measure honey for this recipe. Get out your 1/3 cup. Measure 1/4 cup oil into it. Note how far it fills the 1/3 cup. Now add 1 tablespoon of honey to the oil. Again, note how full it is. Dump this into the pan, and the honey will come out very cleanly.

If you can remember the levels you noted on the 1/3 cup, you don't have to measure either the oil or honey again. Neither ingredient amount is critical, so you aren't likely to mess up the loaf.

The "measure honey in a cup you've used to measure oil in" works really well for getting all the honey out of the cup for any recipe.

I'll post it after I see how it turns out. If it's a mess, then I'll admit I wasted the time/ingredients and try again tomorrow.

BETSY BREAD

1 3/4 teaspoons yeast
2 tablespoons sugar
338 grams white flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon honey

Put sugar and yeast in bread pan. Pour warm water over and proof for 10 minutes.

Notes
The pan for this machine is roughly 5"x10" and I had to adjust the original recipe because the loaf was too big.
I measure flour in grams, as that's more repeatable. My results were inconsistent when I tried to measure the flour. :oops: I don't know how many cups 338 grams of my flour is.

Here's a convenient way to measure honey for this recipe. Get out your 1/3 cup. Measure 1/4 cup oil into it. Note how far it fills the 1/3 cup. Now add 1 tablespoon of honey to the oil. Again, note how full it is. Dump this into the pan, and the honey will come out very cleanly.

If you can remember the levels you noted on the 1/3 cup, you don't have to measure either the oil or honey again. Neither ingredient amount is critical, so you aren't likely to mess up the loaf.

The "measure honey in a cup you've used to measure oil in" works really well for getting all the honey out of the cup for any recipe.
THANKS...my kind of Recipe. Will try it. Looking
forward to viewing your photo. Thank again, Aria

BETSY BREAD

1 3/4 teaspoons yeast
2 tablespoons sugar
338 grams white flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon honey

Notes

Thanks for the recipe!

Sally 338 grams of white flour = 2 2/3 cups. Aria

BETSY BREAD

1 3/4 teaspoons yeast
2 tablespoons sugar
338 grams white flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon honey

Notes

Oh it sounds delicious! I don't have a bread machine though so 🤷
How did it turn out?

I haven't take a picture yet. I think the new jar of yeast is not much fresher than the old one. The loaf didn't fill up the pan end-to-end. I asked DH to cut off a heel to see how it looks. He hasn't yet. (It's not GF, so I can't try it.)

I will be trying this again, after I get some new yeast. When I get it right, I'll post what I did.

Back
Top Bottom