Any Home Bakers Here?

-5 this morning.
Dumb dog still demanded that I throw his sloppy ball for him. The second throw was a failure because the slobber froze to my glove and the ball kinda stuck. Yes, I throw like a girl ... I thnk I hurt my elbow a week ago trying to throw his ball.
I forgot to feed my sourdough starter last night. I will feed tonight and start Aria's recipe tomorrow morning. Shape, rise and bake after work. Hope it works ok. I have never made a sourdough bread without using extra yeast - and this long rest period after mixing all the ingredients is new to me. Hoping for a more open texture to the bread - artisan I think they call it, lol.
Throwing balls hurts my shoulder too! Arthritis is likely to blame, not snow and ice though

Making long fermentation bread is magical in what you get!

The professional fishermen catch and release all the time.
I’m not a professional fisherman, but I do try to catch and release. Like I said, the only times I keep fish are:

1 if I hooked it incorrectly and it’s going to die no matter what I do,

2 if it’s big enough to feed my family.

3 if I need a lot of fish for a dinner recipe.

Speaking of a dinner recipe, I found in the Escoffier book a recipe called Veloute Cardinal. It calls for fish to make bouillon for the recipe. That’s one reason why I’m keeping as many fish as I can right now, so I can have enough to do this recipe. I need about 3 lbs of fish.

I never use yeast with my sourdough cos then I could just use yeast, what I love about sourdough bread is you can eat it at once, do that with yeast, and you get a painful tummy :( if the sourdough isn’t active enough, you can freshen it up every day until it starts „popping“ I have had such an active sourdough I fear it was out to conquer the world 🤪
FBF208A3-BD59-4090-AC26-D5878E93AC16.jpeg

I’ve got to get my sourdough bread started tonight so I can get it in the oven first thing in the morning, I’ve got two starters going….one is my regular starter (Lazy Joe) that I’ve been using for over a year and the other is an experiment in “no discard” starter. So far I haven’t noticed any real difference in the flavor or crumb in the breads, and the ”no discard” part is nice, but I seem to have grown an emotional attachment to my original starter.

I’ve also got a jar of dehydrated starter made from discard in the pantry, just in case. Glad I had it on hand. I dumped Lazy Joe back in September because I knew I wouldn’t be able to keep it going while we lived in the camper….too cold, no running water, and no idea how long it would take for the new house to be finished and us finally getting moved in. So after we got in here, I just rehydrated it and after a few feeds, presto….Lazy Joe was back!

Back
Top Bottom