Any Home Bakers Here?

Have a birthday today, No2 son so made him a cake.
Not to self, buy more food colouring as red goes pink 🙄.

IMG_20220201_153256.jpg
IMG_20220201_153428.jpg

View attachment 2979990View attachment 2979991
I was told years ago, if you want red frosting, you have to buy a certain gel type where you dip a toothpick in and used very little. I use Wilton brand. It works if you want red and not pink.
What flavor of cake did you make?

I grew up with the same foods, Blooie. Did you ever have Shoo Fly Pie?

On top of the German foods, Mom was from southern Kentucky. She was Irish and Cherokee so we also ate a lot of southern cuisine tossed into the menu like ham hocks and beans, pork chops and gravy, grits. Plus she was an excellent cook.
Nope. No Shoo Fly Pie that I can recall. But oh, so many other savory things came out of Gramma’s kitchen! I grew up in eastern South Dakota so we ate a lot of deer, rabbit, pheasant, and fish…whatever Dad brought home after a day on the prairies. Ma always had a ginormous vegetable garden too.

One of our uncles lived with us for a long time and he worked at Morrell’s meat packing plant. He used to bring home big boxes of meat from the company store, mostly pork. Our favorite was “pig cheeks”! Not the jowls or the real cheek. They were actually the temple meat. Tough as shoe leather sometimes but those little tidbits pack more pork flavor than any other part! They are still the favorite of the whole family, but unfortunately they don’t sell them anywhere but back there. So when we go back every year, we pack a couple of extra empty coolers. We buy as many packs as we can find and throw them in my sister’s freezer. Our last day there we pick up dry ice and pack those coolers plumb full. When we get home we divide them up between us and our kids. And then we feast on pig cheeks, mashed taters, milk gravy, and corn!! I’m 71 years old now and never, ever has that simple meal been replaced as a favorite. It’s hands down the winner!!

947147A6-E2F6-4304-AC74-548C75DF5A1E.jpeg

Bakers good morning one and all!

The temperature is 45 and sunny.

I baked an applesauce cake yesterday.

Made a quiche last night for dinner and froze one.

Have a great day!
You had a full day….and it sounds like the results will be a nice full tummy!

View attachment 2979990View attachment 2979991
I’m so cheap I’d have added some blue and made purple! My grandkids would be thrilled!

Okay, bread is done, cooled and bagged up after being sampled. One loaf turned out a little deformed but hay, it's bread and who cares!?

So here is the recipe for the sour cream chocolate cake. I have no idea where my Grandmother got it. It seems to be an 'old family recipe'. My Dad was Pennsylvania Duetch and his mother and father pure German. Grandma spoke with a strong German/Pennsylvania Duetch accent. Her maiden name appears as having an Amish origin but NaNa was not Amish.

Mom's Sour Cream Chocolate Cake

Combine in a pan and bring to a gentle boil: 2 cups sugar
1/4 pound (one stick) oleo
1 cup water
6 tablespoons coco
Stir above mixture frequently to prevent scorching.

In a large bowl, add:
2 cups of flour
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream with 1 teaspoon of baking soda stirred into it
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon of vanilla

When coco comes to a low boil, slowly stir it into the flour mixture and blend until smooth.

Pour mixture into two 9 inch round cake pans or one rectangular baking pan/greased and floured and bake at 350 degrees until a straw inserted in center of cake comes out clean.

Cool and frost with chocolate frosting, garnish with shaved white or dark chocolate

I would love to post a picture of one of these cakes but in all truthfulness this is a lot of cake and very rich. I would make these for funeral dinners at our church and they would call it my 'Death By Chocolate' cake.

View attachment 2979548
This isn't this current batch of Amish Sweet White bread but one of my past projects. Just experimenting with different sizes.
Thanks for the recipe! The bread looks good!

I was told years ago, if you want red frosting, you have to buy a certain gel type where you dip a toothpick in and used very little. I use Wilton brand. It works if you want red and not pink.
Wilton brand is good! I get them from Michaels

I use this recipe for the birthday cakes.

https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/vanilla-sheet-cake/

I only had red "pink" and yellow food colouring in. It was DDs idea to add colouring.

Back
Top Bottom