Any Home Bakers Here?

Fellow bakers, do you always have to use a sugar to activate yeast with warm water? I am making a whole wheat bread and have brand new yeast. Water is the correct temp but the recipe says to just add the yeast to the water, wait for it to proof, then add the honey. My yeast isin't proofing and I'm wondering if it's because I haven't added the sugar yet

Fellow bakers, do you always have to use a sugar to activate yeast with warm water? I am making a whole wheat bread and have brand new yeast. Water is the correct temp but the recipe says to just add the yeast to the water, wait for it to proof, then add the honey. My yeast isin't proofing and I'm wondering if it's because I haven't added the sugar yet
Do not add the salt with the yeast.

Can you share the instructions you are using? Proofing yeast in water needs the temp to be the temperature of life-- which is 85 to 110F. If you are proofing using a recipe that wants you to add instant yeast to a couple of cups of flour and add 125F water but proofing at 125F in just water instead, that will kill the yeast.

How to Proof Yeast

Itā€™s worth noting that proofing yeast is different than proofing bread dough. Hereā€™s how to proof yeast, step by step.

Youā€™ll need:

1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast

1/2 cup water

1 teaspoon sugar

Person pouring an open packet of yeast into sugar and water inside a glass bowl
TASTE OF HOMETaste of Home

Step 1: Stir it Up

In a large bowl, give the yeast, water and sugar a little stir. The water should be warm enoughā€”ideally between 105Āŗ and 115Āŗā€”to really get the yeast going.

You may notice that some yeast bread recipes donā€™t call for sugar in the proofing process, but adding a small amount at this stage provides the yeast with the energy it needs to create carbon dioxide (all those gassy bubbles that give bread its lift). And donā€™t worryā€”a teaspoon of sugar wonā€™t impact the overall taste of the bread.

Test Kitchen tip: Feel free to substitute a bit of honey or agave syrup for the sugarā€”even a tablespoon of flour will do. These ingredients all serve as food for the yeast.

Yeast proofing in the glass bowl as time passes
TASTE OF HOMETaste of Home

Step 2: Wait it Out

Be patient, and let the mixture stand for 5-10 minutes (this was always my big mistakeā€”not letting it sit). This allows the yeast enough time to gobble up all that sugar and produce plenty of carbon dioxide. Once itā€™s nice and bubbly, itā€™s ready to be incorporated into your mixture.

If you notice that the yeast hasnā€™t bubbled much after 10 minutes, the yeast might be old. You can still use old yeast in a recipe, but it will take longer to rise. In general, though, be mindful of expiration dates, and be sure to store yeast in a cool, dry placeā€”even in the fridge or freezer.

Thatā€™s all it takes to get yeast going! Now that youā€™ve got this simple process down, itā€™s time to master some of our favorite recipes. We suggest these tasty Parker House rolls or a loaf of whole wheat French bread.

Fog lifted, so I went ice fishing.

2D550BCC-82DE-47E6-8715-6D711D97D18A.jpeg

21 inches. That is 1 1/2 inches away from beating my personal trout record.

C571F119-9100-427E-AD53-06731FFEAA85.jpeg

Todayā€™s yield was one 16 inch 1 lbs 8 oz trout and one 21 inch 3 lbs 11 oz trout.

It might start getting warmer soon according to the weather, so I need to stop ice fishing for now.

At least I went out with a bang!

Jared

Do not add the salt with the yeast.

Can you share the instructions you are using? Proofing yeast in water needs the temp to be the temperature of life-- which is 85 to 110F. If you are proofing using a recipe that wants you to add instant yeast to a couple of cups of flour and add 125F water but proofing at 125F in just water instead, that will kill the yeast.
Here is the recipe I'm following

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220201-163412.png
    Screenshot_20220201-163412.png
    190.2 KB · Views: 1
A little sugar is ok. Your yeast should start to show
bubbles....if it is active and alive. The sugar just helps. Aria

A little sugar is ok. Your yeast should start to show
bubbles....if it is active and alive. The sugar just helps. Aria
The first yeast did nothing after ten minutes, then I dumped that out and started over, this time I used the honey from the recipe to help activate it. It worked the second timešŸ¤·

Back
Top Bottom