Any Home Bakers Here?

There was a comparison of rise you get from yeast when adding salt, sugar or just warm water when proofing yeast. Adding just water made a better rise.

Use the warm water method to proof the yeast. Use water at about 100F and sprinkle the yeast on top. Let it go bubbly-- it should take about 10 minutes.

The yeast might be old so if it does not proof, buy new yeast.

Heat kills yeast so it is important that the place where the bread is proofed is about 85F.

I hope this helps!

Thank you. I appreciate the help. I’ll try again when I get home.

Regardless, the bread tastes good.

IMG_20220606_165835_761.jpg

Made this yesterday for dessert 😊 bread pudding with home made raisin bread I had hanging out in the fridge. And of course mini chocolate chips 😁

Just water, @ronott? I usually add something for the yeast to feed on when proofing the yeast, such as a Tbsp of honey or sugar. Is there an advantage to using water only?

ETA: Bedtime, I'll be back tomorrow for your answer.
Just water! Sugar messes up the yeast molecule and salt slows fermentation.

The yeast lives off of the flour better than sugar. Sugar is good for browning and crumb but slows fermentation.

That is why sweet breads take so long to rise.

added: do add salt later though. Bread tastes a lot better with salt!

The yeast lives off of the flour better than sugar. Sugar is good for browning and crumb but slows fermentation.

Thanks Ron, I'll definitely try that next loaf! I always use salt, but I only add it once I've added some flour to the mix. I know salt can slow or even kill the yeast. This is sn example of how cooking is as much a science as it is an art!

Regardless, the bread tastes good
Well, that's the main thing. :thumbsup

Just to be sure I understand... When I proof my yeast, do it with JUST water, and skip the 1 TBS of sugar? (My recipe says 1TBS sugar, 1 3/4 TSP yeast and 1 cup water at 100-110 F.)

If I leave out that sugar, do I add it to the dry ingredients, or just leave it out of the recipe all together?

Back
Top Bottom