Any Home Bakers Here?

Afternoon bakers. My old Nesco multi cooker died and I replaced it with an instant pot. Mostly because the IP pot isn’t non stick, which wasn’t the case with the Nesco.

Anyway, my mom told me I could bake a cake in it so I gave it a try. I did have to purchase a small Bundt pan, 6” and available on Amazon. We’ll see how it tastes, Made a banana glaze for it.
View attachment 3212847View attachment 3212849
View attachment 3212889View attachment 3212890
U made that in an instapot!?!

Can you use like coconut milk or almond milk?
Are you allergic to cows mill?

Fermenting will use up the lactic acid so no worries about lactose intolerance.

Other than the plain yogurt, you can substitute milk with warm water.

For the banana glaze, did you just use banana extract or what did you use? My DH loves banana-anything. Never thought to make a glaze.
I made the glaze with the standard cup of pwd sugar and milk to the consistency I wanted and banana extract, I used 1 tsp and feel like the flavor was a bit much the next day. I added 1 Tbsp each of honey and melted butter to the glaze and it’s nice and creamy. Most people say to add corn syrup but I didn’t have any and don’t typically use it. I have an orange extract and a mint I’d like to try, but the next cake will be lemon so probably make cream cheese frosting for that.

Buns for dinner! I forgot to brush them so my browning is not up to snuff. The family never complains. Made savory monkey bread too, but again, the teens got to it before a pic was taken.

Attachments

• IMG_20220807_120105598.jpg
    IMG_20220807_120105598.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 1
I can have any kind of dairy it messes with my stomach.
This one does not have dairy in it:

Make Your Own Sourdough Starter​

Print this recipe
Make Your Own Sourdough Starter

Create your own sourdough starter from the wild yeast floating all around you. The starting point for the ultimate in artisan bread DIY.

Ingredients​

• Whole wheat flour
  • Unsweetened pineapple juice
  • Purified water

Instructions​

• Step 1. Mix 3 ½ tbs. whole wheat flour with ¼ cup unsweetened pineapple juice. Cover and set aside for 48 hours at room temperature. Stir vigorously 2-3x/day. (“Unsweetened” in this case simply means no extra sugar added).
  • Step 2. Add to the above 2 tbs. whole wheat flour and 2 tbs. pineapple juice. Cover and set aside for a day or two. Stir vigorously 2-3x/day. You should see some activity of fermentation within 48 hours. If you don’t, you may want to toss this and start over (or go buy some!)
  • Step 3. Add to the above 5 ¼ tbs. whole wheat flour and 3 tbs. purified water. Cover and set aside for 24 hours.
  • Step 4. Add ½ cup whole wheat flour and 1/4 to 1/3 cup purified water. You should have a very healthy sourdough starter by now.

I do wonder if the fact that I bake all the time with a sourdough starter (and so theoretically have wild yeast floating around our house by the gazillions and covering everything we own) would increase the likelihood that I would have success creating my own sourdough culture from scratch. So I anxiously await feedback from anyone who attempts this process at home. If you give this method a try, please let us know about your results in the lively discussion below.

Buns for dinner! I forgot to brush them so my browning is not up to snuff. The family never complains. Made savory monkey bread too, but again, the teens got to it before a pic was taken.
Here, let me share a bowl with you.
64C72193-FD57-47AE-87CD-95DF8266E669.jpeg
Much better! :thumbsup
B024438E-9E75-4065-BB7F-3911B10A9571.jpeg

I do a lot of things with monkey bread too. Using it as garlic bread, sometimes stuffing with mozzarella, adding pepperoni, regular monkey bread with apples …

Back
Top Bottom