Any Hope For My Friend?

1. Feeding cracked corn, commercial poultry feed, wild black berries, misc. tall grasses, occasionally bits of bread, he also finds clover, dandelions, misc. around the yard.

2.Probiotic wet mash? Dry Crumbles? ACV? No idea what any of those are.

3. No bad smell present.

He doesn't seem to be getting any worse, and is a little more aware than earlier. Maybe the antibiotic is taking effect? He still hasn't eaten for @ 2 days, and I'm alternating antibiotic mix with electrolyte water dribbled into his mouth with a syringe, and he does drink them both.

Standing occasionally.

Rex, dry crumbles are probably the commercial feed type you're using already (can also come in pellets).

ACV is unfiltered/unpasteurized vinegar (Bragg and Spectrum are common brands). This can be useful adjunct added to water for resp/digestion (2tbs per gallon - some folks use more).
ACVbrands080809.jpg

If you can pick up some meal worms maybe those would interest him and get some protein into him (and generate some more droppings - need to know if it remains yellow).

Good luck!

The yellow color of the poo can indicate a worm problem (and considering your story he probably needs worming> use a broad spectrum wormer like ivomec Eprinex (not labeled for poultry but then again little is) or go to your non-avian vet with your story of how you found him and be sure to say he is a pet and ask him for an ivermectin that you can apply toppically (so 2 not 1 percent) as a "spot on" topical application at the base of the neck (this is easier on his system and actually in testing has been found to be more effective than putting in the water > do not inject!) worms can and will kill your bird so you need to address this. The "approved" over the counter wormers are not broad spectrum (will only get one type of worm)...
Until he recovers I would stick with the grower or non-medicated starter feed (you do not want to give a roo layer feed as it has too much calcium in it ) and limit any treats /scratch > he needs the nutrition from the feed when he is ill. You can get POLYVISOL enfamil (no extra iron) which is a childrens liquid A-B-D vitamin and give three drops of that in beak once a day for a week then taper off the next to deal with those deficiencies (which are quite common)
ACV is applecider vinegar > this is useful as a water acidifier: will lower the water PH which is helpful in discouraging the overgrowth of naturally present pathogens like salmonella and E. coli .
A live culture yogurt offered free choice will also help your bird .
If the yellow in the poo is also the color of the "urine" (the watery portion) then this usually indicates liver involvement but worm the bird and see how that goes along with the dietary measures.

Last edited:
Despite maximum effort including calls to numerous vets, electrolytes, antibiotics, consultation with 2 poultry forums, and a 1am run to Walgreens for yogurt and vitamin B, Chester the rooster lost the fight this morning.

Thanks for all the help which I'll pass on to anyone in need.

Rex

Quote:
Not being familiar with poultry, I had no way to guess age. He may have been advanced in age.

Quote:
Thanks for the support. I'm having a bad case of the "If I only would haves..." right now.

Such is life with pets.

The "If Only"'s stink, but in this case I can't imagine finding yourself anythjing except beyond reproach. Her's to Chester- here for a good time, not a long time.

Laura

Back
Top Bottom