Any idea what breed he is?

aa79606

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2017
Texas
This guy is about 6 months old. He came from one of an assortment of eggs purchased by an elementary school teacher friend of mine, and was hatched as part of a class project, so I have been given no information on what breed or cross he may be. He has always been skittish and not at all friendly, unlike the 4 other assorted chicks I received from my friend.

Can anyone shed some light on what breed he might be? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_0552.JPG
    IMG_0552.JPG
    538 KB · Views: 12
He's definitely of mixed breeds. Maybe splash Andalusian mixed with easter egger or Yokohama.

I do really love his splash coloring and white legs... he's gorgeous; it's too bad he's so shy.

I've never even heard of Andalusians or Yokohamas, I'll have to read up! Thanks!

It's just a guess so I am not sure. But he has to have birds with white skin, white ear lobes and pea combs in his ancestry, and they are probably light weight breeds. So I'd go with easter egger or possibly yokohoma on one side. For the white legs and ear lobes it's a bit more difficult to say. There's also a big chance he comes from other mixed breeds. He's a handsome rooster, though, and skittishness isn't necessarily a bad thing. All too often friendly roosters turn aggressive because they don't fear humans.

... He's a handsome rooster, though, and skittishness isn't necessarily a bad thing. All too often friendly roosters turn aggressive because they don't fear humans.

This is exactly what's happened with my other rooster! Just within the last month or two he's started challenging people who he doesn't see every day (pretty much everyone but me and my toddler), and he watches for opportunities to challenge us, too. Very frustrating!!

IMG_0016.JPG

This is exactly what's happened with my other rooster! Just within the last month or two he's started challenging people who he doesn't see every day (pretty much everyone but me and my toddler), and he watches for opportunities to challenge us, too. Very frustrating!!

View attachment 1144225
If he's behaving like that you need to either make sure he has no access you your son or get rid of him. A rooster can take out an eye and it's all the more dangerous because the child is close to the ground. Take no chances is my advice.

If he's behaving like that you need to either make sure he has no access you your son or get rid of him. A rooster can take out an eye and it's all the more dangerous because the child is close to the ground. Take no chances is my advice.

I agree... my son went around the corner from me a couple of weeks ago, and the roo pecked him on the back of the neck. I was furious, but it was my fault for letting my son out of my sight. I won't allow that to happen again, and I stay between the roo and my son when he's outside now. Thankfully, my son wasn't badly hurt, nor was he at all traumatized... he went right back to playing with his hen without fear.

Back
Top Bottom