Any idea what breed he is?

I agree... my son went around the corner from me a couple of weeks ago, and the roo pecked him on the back of the neck. I was furious, but it was my fault for letting my son out of my sight. I won't allow that to happen again, and I stay between the roo and my son when he's outside now. Thankfully, my son wasn't badly hurt, nor was he at all traumatized... he went right back to playing with his hen without fear.
Sounds like you have things under control but be vigilant. My neighbor had a barred rock cockerel attack his 4 year old son in their yard when he looked away for a few seconds, and it did hurt and traumatize the child. Needless to say the cockerel never made it to the rooster stage.

Sounds like you have things under control but be vigilant. My neighbor had a barred rock cockerel attack his 4 year old son in their yard when he looked away for a few seconds, and it did hurt and traumatize the child. Needless to say the cockerel never made it to the rooster stage.

I definitely have been reminding myself not to be complacent with him... and since he always has that "look" in his eye now, it's pretty easy to remain vigilent. I'm hoping he won't get any worse because he's beautiful, and he has been keeping my hen company (the mystery splash cockerel stays penned in a small coop with a little run, to protect them from each other)... but now that I am growing out some chicks, I won't need to worry about the hen being lonely for long if I do get rid of him.

Oh, wow! This guy looks like he could be the love child of my two boys!! lol

What a gorgeous bird... such a shame he was too aggressive!
Lol
But this is the cockerel I kept! He I'd well mannered!
IMG_20170725_140626.jpg

Back
Top Bottom