Any idea what this is?

You want this.
F57D4B6B-216D-49EC-A92C-3DFAF3C5915E.jpeg
Get it at Walmart in the vitamin aisle. Tractor Supply wouldn't know what the heck you're talking about if you go in and ask for this. It works better than the calcium powder they sell.

Give one whole tablet each day until the rest of the egg clears her system. Then follow up with a tablet per day until her eggs have a good shell.

TSC may have the amoxicillin, though. The dose is 250mg per day for ten days. I recommend it highly due to the danger of yolk being broken inside which could end up as a chronic infection endangering her life.

I think there is still membrane inside of her. I definitely didn’t get a full eggs worth. Her vent was actively dripping when she hopped up on the roost for the night, which is when I was able to remove the piece that I saw hanging out. I can run to TSC in the morning and pick up calcium for her. Where would I get amoxi? And what is a chicken’s dose? Is this usually fatal? 😩 Thank you so much for your help.
Carol answered your questions.

You've got this:hugs

Practically all the hens I've treated with calcium citrate for egg binding issues have recovered fully. The only exceptions have been very old hens in the decade plus age range that insist on still trying to lay eggs. Those ended sadly, but at age eleven or twelve, the end is lurking anyway.

Thank you all so much for the advice! Olive is perkier today and and is eating! I don’t see any more discharge coming out of her vent. Next question, how on earth do I feed a calcium tablet to a chicken? And do you think her wearing a chicken sweater would be helpful in padding her featherless, irritated chest blister?

Attachments

• 67890767-0BD1-4D9C-9C50-F2F303779FB0.jpeg
    67890767-0BD1-4D9C-9C50-F2F303779FB0.jpeg
    515.2 KB · Views: 0
Thank you all so much for the advice! Olive is perkier today and and is eating! I don’t see any more discharge coming out of her vent. Next question, how on earth do I feed a calcium tablet to a chicken? And do you think her wearing a chicken sweater would be helpful in padding her featherless, irritated chest blister?
Your welcome, glad to help!
Just pop in a whole tablet and she'll swallow it.
A sweater would help with the blister, she may get hot though. What's the temperature where you are?
What bedding are you using and what perch does she use?

We live in Indiana, and it’s been in the 70s/80s. I’ll keep an eye on her so she doesn’t get too hot. The coop has pine shavings and the roost is a 2x4. The coop has very good ventilation, so maybe I’ll just put the sweater on her before she puts herself to bed. She rarely roosts inside the coop during the day. The ladies have a large free range yard, and Olive is usually very busy exploring during the day, so she won’t need a sweater then.

Beware of anything loose knitted for chickens. They can unravel the thing and choke on a long string if they get it in their mouth. Also to fuzz can clog nares and throat and choke. Tip from your chickens: "We will hate any sort of garment you try to make us wear."

For breast blisters, a cushioned surface is best as it's at night these blisters develop. Bald areas will re-feather in another month or so when mold begins.

Beware of anything loose knitted for chickens. They can unravel the thing and choke on a long string if they get it in their mouth. Also to fuzz can clog nares and throat and choke. Tip from your chickens: "We will hate any sort of garment you try to make us wear."
Very true, I should have thought of that.
For breast blisters, a cushioned surface is best as it's at night these blisters develop. Bald areas will re-feather in another month or so when mold begins.
This is a better idea than a sweater, its much safer @Alyssamary3. I would wrap your perch in something soft.

Back
Top Bottom