Any idea what's wrong with this chickie?

louis

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 20, 2009
Texas Hill Country
I'm currently raising my second batch of Cornish Rocks and noticed my first problem with a chick which will be 6 weeks old tomorrow. At dinner time this evening, when they all go crazy and crowd around me, I noticed one just laying on it's side with the left leg stretched out next to the waterer. Even after setting down the food when everyone else was going wild she just laid there taking occasional sips of water. I ended up deciding to quarantine her in my now empty 4'x2' brooder. She never wants to stand. When presented with her own food and water she eats and drinks normally, looks alert, but is incredibly lethargic.

The only thing I can figure is some kind of leg problem you hear about Cornish X's getting because they grow too fast but I only provide feed morning and evening and it's gone after about an hour. The rest of the time I let them range. And she's smaller than the chicks in my first batch were at her age, who I fed constantly. Any ideas or suggestions? Are there any specific symptoms, etc. I can look for to say it's leg problems? Thanks all.

idunno.gif
My first one this happened to I fed and helped her when she wanted to drink....No good...I had to try because I didn't know....Now I know...

Back
Top Bottom