Any ideas about free ranging?

Shepherdess

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 11, 2015
We live on ten heavily forested acres and have had chickens for almost five years. During the day the flock of about 20 free range over about 2 acres and at night they either roost in our secure goat barn or in a very predator proof coop. Over the last month I've noticed a chicken missing every few days. We do have lots of predators but none that were really bothersome until now. But now I'm reconsidering free ranging my flock although I know it would be hard to put the hens in the run after they've had their freedom. Any ideas on making free ranging safer? Or should I just bite the bullet and keep them in their run.

Ohrs free range inside a large fenced area that is shared with goats and ducks. They are not completely predator safe, but they are protected. We are retired so we are here most all the time, but if we go to town or Dr's appts, we confine them to their yard....if, on occassion we let them out on the outsude of the big fence, I am on constant watch with guns close at hand....we live on 20acres and over half is heavily wooded.

Sounds like the preds have discovered the buffet. I had to give up free ranging, and build a secure covered run several years ago when Northern Goshawk took a fancy to my birds. I am able to let them out now and then, but their free range days are over. Given your current pattern, you will keep loosing birds every few days until there are no more left to loose.

When free ranging was last the in thing, every farm boy and his daddy had a croker sack full of steel traps, a hunting dog or two, a shotgun and/or a .22 rifle. With the high price that furs demanded during the Great Depression no chicken predator dared show its face around a farmstead. You can still successfully freerange. Just remember that free ranging is not supposed to apply to the chicken predators, it only applies to your chickens.

We are on 5 acres surrounded by wooded areas. I know we have Bobcats, black bears, coyotes, cougar, raccoons, skunk, opossum, countless types of birds of prey, weasel, owl, fox.. basically anything and everything. This time of year the predators seem to be out more, expanding their search for food. Since they have discovered your flock, they won't leave this new delicious food source.. We have a chain link fenced backyard where the kids play and we let the girls free range with our 2 Australian shepherds... we still get predators that come up to the fence with our dogs right there. So far we have only lost 1.. you can go to the dollar store and get the shiny wind mill things and place them about the property and that can help with over head predators the done distracts them. But honestly, I'd keep them in the run for a while. Whatever is eating your birds now knows where the buffet is at!

First figure out what critter is grabbing your birds. Then you can put a game plan together to exterminate whatever it is. If it's after my birds I don't care what it is it's toast. A shotgun with #4 turkey loads will pretty much take out anything in the USA that might be after your birds. Keep some #8 around for the smaller predators, the Flying kind and try to stick to the air rifle for the feed robbers.

Thanks, everyone. Keeping them in sounds like it's in the cards. Now to figure out how to get three roosters to get along once in a run. I may be doing some serious building - haha.

Changes to fencing system, concentrating / shifting area birds forage and loaf in, managing time so they free-range only at certain times, and dogs are all part of my approach. Other things done as well and I switch up approach as needed. Losses light but manageable enough for a closed flock to sustain itself and produce edible product. I still cull many more birds than lost to predators or disease.

Back
Top Bottom