Any ideas on breed?

HeartsHomeFarm

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 12, 2012
south Georgia
She's only a week and half or so old, so I know it's early. The employee at the store where we bought the chicks said they had Rhode Island Reds, Black Sex-linked, and something else that he couldn't remember. When I called back the next day to ask someone else, they just said they had Rhode Island Reds and the black sex-linked with no mention of anything else. We have 3 that I'm fairly positive are RIR, and two that are black, but we also have this little girl and another that is very similar in coloring, but with a darker mask around her eyes, and a dark brown stripe down her back. She looks rather red in this photo with the light of the heat lamp on her, but is really more of a gray brown with dark brown markings. I also have one yellow chick, and it was the only yellow chick out of all the chicks the store had. Any ideas? I'm still rather clueless about breeds as these are my first experience with raising chickens. I'll take more photos as they get a bit older. Thank you!

She's only a week and half or so old, so I know it's early. The employee at the store where we bought the chicks said they had Rhode Island Reds, Black Sex-linked, and something else that he couldn't remember. When I called back the next day to ask someone else, they just said they had Rhode Island Reds and the black sex-linked with no mention of anything else. We have 3 that I'm fairly positive are RIR, and two that are black, but we also have this little girl and another that is very similar in coloring, but with a darker mask around her eyes, and a dark brown stripe down her back. She looks rather red in this photo with the light of the heat lamp on her, but is really more of a gray brown with dark brown markings. I also have one yellow chick, and it was the only yellow chick out of all the chicks the store had. Any ideas? I'm still rather clueless about breeds as these are my first experience with raising chickens. I'll take more photos as they get a bit older. Thank you!

Definately not red or black sexlinks....pretty sure hatchery Road island reds! Great birds. Your yellow could possibly be a red sexlink roo, they are yellow, where the pullets are more red.

Last edited:
Oh, I sure hope my yellow isn't a roo! I'm not ready for a rooster now, and my 2 year old will be heart-broken if we have to get rid of "her" chicken! Fingers crossed that Lemon Drop is a she!

My husband went to pick up supplies at the feed store today, and they had a new batch of chicks in that included lots of yellow ones. He was told they were blond sex-links, so I'm guessing that's what our little yellow one is, too.

Back
Top Bottom