Any Jewish Poultry Keepers?

Pics
happy_hanukkah3.gif

So how many chickens do you guys have and what breeds?

I have 10 chickens currently. 1 F1 Easter Egger hen, 2 Black Ameraucana hens, a Frizzle Bantam hen, an American Gamefowl hen, a mixed breed Bantam hen, a Silkie x Red Sex Link pullet, a Silkie x Easter Egger pullet, & 2 Black Breasted Red Araucana pullets. View attachment 1809327View attachment 1809328 View attachment 1809326View attachment 1809325 View attachment 1809324View attachment 1809322View attachment 1809331 View attachment 1809323View attachment 1809329 View attachment 1809330
Hello, I am new to BYC and while I don't have any chickens yet, I am planning to start a small flock soon. I know that there are certain breeds that are not kosher, like the ones with 5 toes for example. Are there any breeds with other signs that are not kosher?

Hello, I am new to BYC and while I don't have any chickens yet, I am planning to start a small flock soon. I know that there are certain breeds that are not kosher, like the ones with 5 toes for example. Are there any breeds with other signs that are not kosher?
This topic is very complex, beyond the realm of an this forum. There are many different מנהגים and מחלוקות in this area. I recommend speaking to R' Chaim Loike of the OU; he is likely the premier expert in this field. You can call him at 212.613.8319 or email him at [email protected].

This topic is very complex, beyond the realm of an this forum. There are many different מנהגים and מחלוקות in this area. I recommend speaking to R' Chaim Loike of the OU; he is likely the premier expert in this field. You can call him at 212.613.8319 or email him at [email protected].
Thank you for your answer, I will definitely reach out to R' Loike.

I have heard that some people don’t consider the Silkie to be kosher because they have 5 toes and dark skin. I think that nowadays some people would consider any chicken that isn’t the Cornish cross to be non kosher, because they are so accustomed to white skinned birds. I’ve eaten Silkie and Silkie mix chickens, they taste like the other chickens I’ve raised for meat.

Back
Top Bottom