Any of my current Buff Orps worth Breeding?

DawnSuiter

Songster
12 Years
Jun 3, 2008
Western Colorado - Formerly E. TN Smokies
My Coop
My Coop
I realize they are young, but their butcher date is fast approaching. I have to decide if anyone here can help to create good orps in the future or if they are destined to the freezer. I could keep and grow out a couple of them still if it's too early.

I think only 1 doesn't have any pepper in his tail.. and that would be stubby, the only one completely free of those curved over tail feathers... so maybe they just haven't come in yet. Most of their color is inconsistant, but a couple have a nice shape I'm thinking...all have great personalities.

They are now 3.5 months old.. what do you think? My goal will be more orpingtons of different colors and more buffs. Anybody look like they have a good shape worth proliferating?
101_2213.JPG

101_2214.JPG

101_2215.JPG

101_2216.JPG

First of all, that is pretty young to tell anything. And second, what kind of bloodlines do they have?

ETA: On the pictures, I think some of them look pretty nice
smile.png

Last edited:
These are the ones I think look nicest.

1st pic: 1 way on the left, 1 way on the right, and the one in the middle.

2nd pic: two on the left and the one second to the one way on the right.

3rd pic: ?

4th pic: one on the left

But I am not a bonafied Orpington breeder
smile.png

Last edited:
Hi Tiki thanks for your input... in both the 1st & 2nd pics you did a good job of picking the same 3! The two that are alone placed in the local county fair but they were pretty much by themselves in the cockerel category so that doesn't mean too much.

Their bloodlines are at BEST vague... it's likely they had buff orp dad but the farmer guy I got them from really didn't seem too organized.. ( I got more eggs to hatch from them, turns out we're thinking the new ones we got in the brooder could be buff/leghorns) so well honestly.. I have no clue. I do have all they're baby pics and they did seem to stick to typical buff development (unlike the ones I have in the brooder) so I'm guessing they could at least be all orps.

still too young to tell? well.. comepletely? I must be able to weed some of them outta the mix sooner than later... hmmmmmm....

Quote:
big_smile.png
You guys have both picked Stubby! (far left 2nd pic) That's SO cool because he is the only one we named back when we held hope that Stubby could be a girl! STubby also appears to be the only one without any pepper at this point...

Christina, the one on the left placed 2nd next to the one on the right... those two in that single rooster house are the SWEETEST of all of them... so.. looks like I should for now keep the two sweeties & stubby!

anyone else wanna weigh in?

Quote:
big_smile.png
You guys have both picked Stubby! (far left 2nd pic) That's SO cool because he is the only one we named back when we held hope that Stubby could be a girl! STubby also appears to be the only one without any pepper at this point...

Christina, the one on the left placed 2nd next to the one on the right... those two in that single rooster house are the SWEETEST of all of them... so.. looks like I should for now keep the two sweeties & stubby!

anyone else wanna weigh in?

Im glad we picked the right ones
lol.png

I too say wait just a bit longer, you may be surprised at how fast they color up, 6 mo is when i normally do any culling.

All my other chickens are young... I have 2 other VERY PALE buff females from a different line, I know those are keepers already and they also have matching males..... I am still working to aquire enough females honestly which is why I need to thin down the herd of boys... I have ALOT of cockerels here.. in addition to this group of 7.. I have another 2 blues, 3 blacks, 2 australorps, 2 buffs & 2 buffXs, and at least 1 GLW.. ALL COCKERELS.. so.. I have to make some room..

I am worried that if I wait too long the meat will get tough(er) and taste much stronger, being our first homegrown chickens, I was hoping to get them younger & less flavorful as we adjust... sorry if this bothers anyone...

I'm not looking for color much because as far as I understand, color is not a top priority. As I proliferate more orps, itll be for type/meat & egg production.. of course I'm TOTALLY new to the whole idea of breeding chickens... dogs I get.. chickens.. just getting started
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom