CuriousChickens

Hatching
Mar 27, 2018
Hello.
I'm Currently living in an Apartment. The only Space available for Gardening is the Balcony. But Unfortunately, i cant garden there! because the balcony is Very very shady & terribly Windy. Plus, its RAIN season. so the Clouds covers most of the sunlight.

I'm Desperately Wanting to garden, but i cant.. Until i found out my cousin has an empty dirt space in her yard. He He he... I asked her if i can use it ( and also asked her to help me garden there ), She happily said "Sure!" :D
But she have free ranging chickens near, so i gotta be careful of what plants im going to grow there.

I'm Going to plant

Nasturtiums
Sunflowers
Cosmos

• Cosmos Bippinatus
  • Cosmos Caudatus
  • Cosmos Sulphureus
Marigolds
  • Signets Marigolds
  • French Marigolds
  • African/American Marigolds
Violas & pansies
Zinnias

• Zinnia Elegans
  • Zinnia Marylandica
  • Zinnia haageana
Torenias
SnapDragons
Chamomiles
Dandelions
Morning Glories
Baby blue eyes

Any of those plants i just mentioned poisonous/harmful/ or even deadly to chickens??

The chickens have plenty of space to forage and they also get fed everyday, But still, i dont want to take any risks!

Also, do chickens know who's POISONOUS and who's EDIBLE?

Btw, the chickens are a type of bantams.

Thanks.

I'm not sure about these, but all of the others are edible (by people, as well!) Torenias
SnapDragons Morning Glories Baby blue eyes

Torenias and baby blue eyes aren't very popular. :( i've heard that morning glories are toxic to chickens, but lots of chicken keepers said their chickens likes to eat the morning glories and they are okay. So im really confused!

Torenias and baby blue eyes aren't very popular. :( i've heard that morning glories are toxic to chickens, but lots of chicken keepers said their chickens likes to eat the morning glories and they are okay. So im really confused!

I know right? Sometimes there’s plenty of inconsistent conflicting informations. Sometimes if they ingest or ate just a small amount it doesn’t affect them. When I was newer in chicken stuff, I had questions w/ Appleseed, tomato plants and avocados, some people gave me conflicting answers. So what I did just removed the seeds from apple before I toss it to their run and stayed away from avocados and made my chickens decide for the tomato plants. They avoided tomato leaves but ate riped berries they definitely ate all of my pepper plants.

Agreed, I've heard conflicting reports on many things like this and it does get confusing!

I'd say don't get overly worried, though. If the plants are established just let the chickens near them under close supervision so you can intervene, if needed. If you find them going after plants that may be potentially toxic (which I've heard morning glory is, but have no experience with it), separate them and consider installing a simple physical barrier.

Some chickens naturally avoid what is toxic to them. Others do not. Others might try a little, but will give up later. Ours will eat tomato leaves, for instance. I'm more worried for the tomatoes than the chickens and I'll shoo them away from the plants at the first sign of such "peckishness" (yuk, yuk, yuk...). There's no way one or two leaves will harm a healthy adult chicken. But no reason to risk it either.

BTW our chickens LOVE marigolds and will eat them all day long if they have the chance. Makes the yolks beautiful! But I need those marigolds for chasing away bugs, girls!! Knock it off! :) Actually we grow some in pots that we can then move into and out of the run so they do get to decimate some in a semi-controlled fashion.

Back
Top Bottom