Any one seen this Muscovy color before !?

BW Pied Drake
luckyduck.jpg

Blue and white pied drake (As a baby) and Blue and white pied hen in the BG to the right and silver behind the drake
windal.jpg

Silver and white shes a bit shadowed in this one and since she is full grown now has gotten alot lighter grey
Silvery.jpg

Black hen with frosting as a baby no current pics sorry. she lost that silver lacing on her chest She is solid black with face frosting but never went full white head like her sis
Scovybaby.jpg

Her full sister that was born same time current picture solid black WH in moult though and in a pen of this years babies.
Picture233-2-1.jpg

No I do not consider that one baby a silver barred it has to much buff coloring Silvers are a light light grey

Thanks for photos. They are good although it can still be difficult to judge from photos due to lighting etc.

Your young subject drake is probably closest to what is called Lilac genetically, ie, two doses of blue + sex-linked choc dilution (N/N, ch/ch or ch/Ch+). If he is pure for blue dilution (N/N), then everything except the blue/white drake & one of your ducks with blue (blue/white & silver barred females) can be ruled out. It is a little difficult to tell if your breeding blue/white drake (second photo when younger, & not pied according to our standards here as less than 50% white) has a little brown on breast or not (although he looks like he does in that photo), but the blue/white (not pied according to our standard here as less than 50% white) & silver barred ducks look clean to me? If this is the case, then your young subject drake has inherited brown from the drake only (ch/Ch+), & it has expressed. That is very interesting. You could try test mating him back to a black @ a later date & if everything bred has blue (eg blue, blue barred, blue fawn) then he is definately pure for blue.

As for his patterned effect, I would not rule out a single dose of the gene for barring inherited from the silver barred duck, but could be due to something else of course, eg illness, some other gene etc? You guys have some really interesting colours & patterns over there when compared with ours. You may find that he loses some or all of the pattern during later moults?

He is a very pretty boy, & thank you for all the pics
smile.png

Edited to add, I suppose we also need to remember that some genes exhibit variable expressivity, & not all individuals with a particular gene (or genes) may express full trait/s phenotypically.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom