Any one up for a challenge figure out breed on 2 barnyard mixes.

schellie69

Songster
10 Years
Oct 8, 2009
Kansas
I thought maybe some Californian white mixes but not sure that is even right. In the pen I know for sure where either LF Cocrin (sp)or marans, Leghorns, are the ones I remember but their we a few others. They are hatch mates the guy I got them from had clipped their top beak so I won't buy from him again. Thanks for any help
This is miss Prissy she is almost all white with just a few black spots she has yellow eggs and feathers on her legs she lays a pretty light pink egg
42605_dannys_ipod_073.jpg

Picture of her legs-she had more feathers until she molted and now her legs look like this with very little feathers
42605_dannys_ipod_080.jpg

This is splash she is white but has a lot more black on her she has a splash of black all the way across her back by her tail she also has green/slate legs no idea what color she lays except its brown since I can never catch her on the nest box
42605_dannys_ipod_071.jpg

Picture of her legs
42605_dannys_ipod_078.jpg

Let me know if you need more pictures I have some. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Prissy Looks to me like columbian wyndotte mixed with Delaware.....maybe...or light Brahma mixed with Delaware or light Sussex?....not sure....

Splash looks like my white rock delware mix.......but the blue legs.....no idea on her

Quote:
Found out that splash lays a really dark brown egg. I get an egg a day from each of them I would just love to have some idea on breed.

Given the body shape, leg color, and leg feathering... I would guess the first one is a Leghorn/Cochin cross
The second I would guess is a Marans cross since she lays dark eggs. What else is in the mix...
idunno.gif

Quote:
It is funny because we joke that someone splashed black paint on them. The guy I got them from just got a bunch of hatching eggs from some one who had all his chickens in one big pen. these where 2 of those hatched. Thanks for the guesses.

I can't wait to hear the response - I picked up a pullet last week from an old (and well-meaning, but confused) farmer who insisted she was a Delaware/Brahma Mix. She looks pretty Brahma, except instead of being feathered, the legs are blue - and I mean BLUE.

I tried to post a pic, but apparently I'm too new to have that option available to me....so stay tuned!

Peter

Back
Top Bottom