Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

I'll join! I got 6 day-old chicks on August 1rst. Last week I got my first egg.
wee.gif
yesss.gif
I believe Henrietta, my Rhode Island Red, laid it. Sadly, I was out of town for work, so I found out via text from my neighbor
hit.gif
I felt like a mother missing her kid's first steps. It was still pretty exciting for me to go and find my first egg, though. I've been getting one egg a day consistently now for a week, but they are small.

My five other girls all look like they could start at any moment, but so far I'm only getting one egg a day. I have two easter eggers, and I can't wait to see what color their eggs will be. All girls have nice pink/red faces and growing combs and wattles.

I also have two silkie hens who are about 1 week older than the other six, and one silkie roo. I've heard silkies mature more slowly, so I'm not expecting eggs from them any time soon.

Congrats
wee.gif
two of mine have been laying for a few months now and I still get excited when I go collect their eggs!!! But I will be thrilled when I need a egg collecting basket.

Some signs your pullet may be close to laying

This is the egg squat
Really red combs and wattles

Mating - usually your rooster knows when you hen will be laying soon.

Checking out the nest boxes - mine would stand in them and lay down for awhile

Practicing egg song - both my layers would practice the egg song a few days before they layed their first eggs.

Fluffy butts and filling out - Someone here has noted that when they are close to laying their back sides look fluffier.

After you see all of these (or some) you will soon be getting these....
big_smile.png

I'm sure there are more signs but these are the one that I know
thumbsup.gif
feel free to add to the list.

No eggs again today...but tomorrow brings another day! Melebella, do you have a picture if Duke. I saw a part of him in one of the pics. He looks like a stud.

OOOO... I think I got a squat today.
fl.gif
I went to pet one of my girls and she did that weird move just like in your pics. They both seem interested in the nesting boxes and will hang out there for a bit.... so eggcited. I wonder what color of eggs I will get...
Crafty I love the slide show. That really helps. Thanks

MB, your situation sounds like mine! I have 6 Delawares born at the end of July. We just unblocked their nest boxes last week because I've been hearing the egg songs, and their wattles and combs are getting red. They have been free ranging in the yard (a small acreage much like yours with a lot of bushes/trees/hiding places), and I really don't want them to start laying out in the yard because I don't think I'll ever find their eggs! I've been keeping them confined in the run/coop for a few days now--they HATE it and want out! Luckily both have ample space for the girls. I haven't placed a dummy egg in their nests. I wonder if that would help them along!?? Anyway, I'm watching and waiting! They're at 20 weeks now, so it should be soon!

Quote: Those are some really fluffy butts!
big_smile.png

I think they are pretty close. Yours are definitely fluffier than most of mine! I'm so jealous of you guys getting your first eggs! Why does it always take my chickens so long? Maybe I need to change breeds. It's always my Ameraucanas that wait until week 30-something. Sigh... Although honestly, even though mine are all past week 30, they don't all look ready. Some of them still have pink combs. Late bloomers I guess.
Only 2 more days till solstice!

After reading through this thread of conversations, I went out to let the girls out of the coop and decided to do the squat test. Most of them squatted when I ran my hand down their backs! Usually they just try to bolt away, but they let me stroke them, and their bums went down toward the ground! I also checked all the hiding places around the run and in the coop (including their nest boxes), but no eggs. I did say the other day that all I want for Christmas is a fresh laid egg....maybe Santa heard me?

Back
Top Bottom