Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

I think when I give it to them tomorrow, I will put a pile of scratch in one spot and the fodder in another and see which one they select. It should be a very interesting decision. I will try to video it as well and see how that works.

I think when I give it to them tomorrow, I will put a pile of scratch in one spot and the fodder in another and see which one they select. It should be a very interesting decision. I will try to video it as well and see how that works.
YEAH!
wee.gif

HAHA I wouldn't think that a chicken would rather have anything over scratch so it will be interesting to see.

Making me want to do this quickly. So I just go to a feed store and ask them for wheat seed? Is wheat GMO, if anybody knows?

So for the past 3 days I have been letting the girls free range all day. They seem to prefer that instead of being in the pen all day until around 3. I was nervous about them laying all over but so far each girl has come back to lay in the box.They have a really good roo looking after them so my mind is at ease.

They all seem to know when I get home because they all come running when I go outside. So funny to see them run.

USVl, mine go back to the coop to lay too. Mine know when I say "go home".and walk behind them, they waddle/run for the coop. It surprised my DH one day, I said it and the ran around the house to the coop. I do spend quite a bit of time with them, and they know my voice.

Just normal room light is all that is needed. I went to my feed store and told them that i needed wheat seed. She ordered in Gore Wheat for me. I have no idea if it is GMO.

I dont know about your girls but mine will knock you over for a handful of scratch. I found out that you should never throw scratch in the coop as well. We happened to be leaving early one evening and I wanted to put the girls up before. e left as we were not going to be home till late and i wantrd them secure. I figured i would throw some scratch in the coop and that way I could lock them up. It worked like a champ....until I got home. They had completely moved every square inch of pine bedding and relocated it in every nook and crany that was not meant to hold the bedding. I had to dig out all the nest boxes, grit and oyster shell container, etc. This behavior continued for almost a week until they were satisfied that they had gotten every grain of scratch. Oh well live and learn.

MB~ sorry, about the dog.... her dad is a pit bull and her mom is a black lab mix... she was the one out of the litter with the longest snout. She is hyper like a terrier though, she can jump from a sitting position about as high as my shoulders. She runs REALLY fast, we let her out of her pen and she runs across the field to release energy.

I was all ready to set up trays and sprout stuff in a big way...such a good idea! But in the health food store they had containers of sprouted wheat all ready to go so I brought one home for the girls -- a special treat. They pecked at it and walked away! I separated out some sprouts thinking maybe they'd be interested in them with the seed...not at all. These chickens have eaten every green thing in their reach, why would they not want these wheat sprouts? Even looks like the yard grass they nip off every day. Sigh...I think I have "special" chickens.

One of my other hens are laying! I'm not sure who it was though....all i know is it was a probably one of my brown egg layers (Maran or Barred Rock). And it sucks because the egg came out soft.

Yeah, I know how that is, i had several shell less eggs for the first couple of weeks that mine started laying, haven't had that happen in a while now I do see them eating their oyster shell much more frequently so guessing that is helping.

Back
Top Bottom