Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

So we installed a light in the coop to come on at 3 a.m. so our chicken would get at least 14 hours of sunlight. My husband went to feed them today and one of them did the SQUAT!!!!!!! Surprised the fool out of us. Super excited!

We got the endless egg song today again (at least half an hour). Has been two weeks since the last one. AND... a squat
wee.gif
Still no egg though.

Rat poison is hard stuff. We had a dog that the vet swears got into it once, even though we are VERY careful to be sure they are never in the building that has the poison, but that is another long story for another day. I know this may seem silly, but do they have access to grit? Is the abdomen swollen and squishy or hard? Any funny odor or strange poo?

I don't gave them grit but they free range from 7am - 7pm everyday. I feed them back their egg shell 2-3 times a week . The one that caught my attention and more swollen was squishy then went hard. Now its back squishy. I felt for an egg but I don't feel anything. Poop is pasty white with a little green (not much). I have stopped giving layer for now, and added olive oil to their food. They are still laying tho. Also if its an infection I am giving them antibiotics which was recommended by someone on BYC. The one that is most swollen I have isolated her and giving her a little higher dose. This morning she was eating and drinking. I have added electrolytes to her water and probiotics to aid with digestion. I am trying everything. Really hope its not too much. Actually everybody is eating normal.

I don't gave them grit but they free range from 7am - 7pm everyday. I feed them back their egg shell 2-3 times a week . The one that caught my attention and more swollen was squishy then went hard. Now its back squishy. I felt for an egg but I don't feel anything. Poop is pasty white with a little green (not much). I have stopped giving layer for now, and added olive oil to their food. They are still laying tho. Also if its an infection I am giving them antibiotics which was recommended by someone on BYC. The one that is most swollen I have isolated her and giving her a little higher dose. This morning she was eating and drinking. I have added electrolytes to her water and probiotics to aid with digestion. I am trying everything. Really hope its not too much. Actually everybody is eating normal.

It sounds like you're doing all the right stuff. If they're eating, drinking, and pooping, then those are really good signs. Do they act like they don't feel well? Are you getting any eggs? (Sorry, I can't remember whose chickens have all started laying and who's haven't) Since they free range, is it possible they could have eaten anything else bad, like maybe rotten food in the compost? Do they smell bad? A lot of chicken illnesses have a particular smell.

It is possible to have more than one egg bound chicken, particularly if the problem is dietary (not enough extra calcium, or not enough water), but that doesn't sound likely. Plus, you'd probably notice that they were trying to lay an egg, and getting distressed because they can't.

But really, as long as they're eating, drinking, and don't seem uncomfortable, I'd just keep an eye on it, and try not to worry too much. You probably also want to be careful with the antibiotics. That can cause digestive distress. I had to treat a couple of hens with respiratory illness, and the antibiotics actually caused them to stop eating. It can give them a stomach ache, plus it leaves a bad taste in their mouths, which makes them reluctant to eat. (At least that's what the vet told me) I had to force feed them until they were well.

MB, My roo is a buckeye. I actually took him in from a cousin of mine who picked up three chicks from Tractor Supply at Mother's Day as well. One day when she was in the house she heard a noise and sent me a video asking what was wrong. I laughed so hard that her favorite "hen" ended up being a rooster. Ha! She isn't supposed to have chickens and tried to rehome him, with no luck, so I took him in with the warning that if he gets rowdy he will be my dinner. Well, he is a bit rowdy once in a while but so far, I am not quite ready to stew him either. I love him, he is really pretty with his green tail feathers, but if I get a hatched roo that is nicer, I am not above having him go away.

i do like my buckeye hen. She is a very sturdy and stout looking bird. I agree with the more protein thing, I don't think she has laid much this winter in part due to that. I do feed scrambled eggs back, plus the BOSS and yogurt, but I think she in particular could use more. Though she is always first in line for all scraps and scratch you would think she gets enough. I tend to get 4 eggs a day one day and then 6 the next. That old leghorn lays every single day! HUGE eggs! Bigger than a jumbo I think!

I used to have Buckeyes. I love that breed! I had a beautiful roo. He used to make the craziest noises. He growled and honked. A kid in the neighborhood got really attached to my roo, and begged his dad to let him adopt him. So now my Buckeye roo lives across the river. Actually, my old avatar picture was that roo as a chick. He was a lovely giant red fluff ball, at least twice as big as all the other chicks. Such a funny breed.

It sounds like you're doing all the right stuff. If they're eating, drinking, and pooping, then those are really good signs. Do they act like they don't feel well? Are you getting any eggs? (Sorry, I can't remember whose chickens have all started laying and who's haven't) Since they free range, is it possible they could have eaten anything else bad, like maybe rotten food in the compost? Do they smell bad? A lot of chicken illnesses have a particular smell.

It is possible to have more than one egg bound chicken, particularly if the problem is dietary (not enough extra calcium, or not enough water), but that doesn't sound likely. Plus, you'd probably notice that they were trying to lay an egg, and getting distressed because they can't.

But really, as long as they're eating, drinking, and don't seem uncomfortable, I'd just keep an eye on it, and try not to worry too much. You probably also want to be careful with the antibiotics. That can cause digestive distress. I had to treat a couple of hens with respiratory illness, and the antibiotics actually caused them to stop eating. It can give them a stomach ache, plus it leaves a bad taste in their mouths, which makes them reluctant to eat. (At least that's what the vet told me) I had to force feed them until they were well.

Yes 6 of my 9 is laying. I am still getting eggs. Yesterday I got 5. The one is isolated didn't lay yesterday. I will see if she lays today. Only 2 seem to be a little uncomfortable but are eating and drinking.. I feed layer and scratch. They get their greens from free ranging. I was concerned that they may have gotten into rat poison that hubby threw out 4-5 days ago. He hates rats and just threw it out. I am praying that they didn't get into it or found a dead rat anywhere and ate it's body or anything of it. They have water in their house and I also set a fresh pot of water in the yard just in case they don't want to go inside the pen. I really don't smell them but today when I go home I will check all of them for an odor.

Yes 6 of my 9 is laying. I am still getting eggs. Yesterday I got 5. The one is isolated didn't lay yesterday. I will see if she lays today. Only 2 seem to be a little uncomfortable but are eating and drinking.. I feed layer and scratch. They get their greens from free ranging. I was concerned that they may have gotten into rat poison that hubby threw out 4-5 days ago. He hates rats and just threw it out. I am praying that they didn't get into it or found a dead rat anywhere and ate it's body or anything of it. They have water in their house and I also set a fresh pot of water in the yard just in case they don't want to go inside the pen. I really don't smell them but today when I go home I will check all of them for an odor.

I'm certainly no expert on rat poison, but I would guess that if they had ingested a dangerous amount, they'd already be in much worse shape. So even if they somehow ingested a small amount, I'd think they're probably through the worst of it? That stuff works really fast.

Have you considered worms? I've read lots of posts on here where folks didn't even realize their chickens were sick until they wormed them. Then their health and egg laying improved dramatically. Worms can definitely cause intestinal irritation.

I use red vinegar and also I put them on 2 weeks of garlic every 6 months, which is I heard is a natural wormer too. Is there something else I can use?
Feed them half of a papaya one day, then feed the other half the next day.. It is a great natural wormer as well. Also, stand back the second time you feed it... my flock goes INSANE for that. One of the most healthy things you can feed to your chooks.

Back
Top Bottom