Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

On Thursday I got my first egg! I am so happy. They are 20 week old RIR hens. I got another one yesterday (Saturday). They are pretty small and they are the first eggs ever from these hens, do you think you can eat them? I am worrying because they have been sitting in my fridge.

Yay, congrats on first egg, Sadiedog!
wee.gif

So I posted about my first egg last week.....3 days later it looks like she laid another. yea
bow.gif
I left for a mothers day overnighter with my BFF (we went to see the musical Wicked) within a day and a half my husband and 14 year old son found 6 eggs?! It was tourchure....they kept sending me text pic's of the eggs 4 blue and 2 brown. Looks like my 2 EE lay blue eggs and 1 a day so far which is even better! But one girl died suddenly in the nest yesterday before I got home. This is my first chicken death and it make me nervous because I wasn't here to watch her symptoms. My husband said he thought she was gonna lay and egg all day, but then looked sleepy....and then dead?! Thinking it might be coccdiosis so I'm treating the whole flock (had a silkie looking sluggish). After all of that eggcitment over the weekend....I've been hanging out on the porch waiting to hear an egg song...... and not a single egg yet.
barnie.gif
I think they're playing with me haha.

On Thursday I got my first egg! I am so happy. They are 20 week old RIR hens. I got another one yesterday (Saturday). They are pretty small and they are the first eggs ever from these hens, do you think you can eat them? I am worrying because they have been sitting in my fridge.
Definitely! I heard they last longer than a month in the fridge if your not washing the bloom off (some don't even refrigerate) Store bought eggs have a shelf life of 1 month because they have to be washed.

I am a little worried. One of my two older ladies was nearly dragged off by a fox about a week and a half ago. She suffered some major plucking on her backside and as far as I can tell a leg wound that she is still nursing. I thought at first she had a vent injury but other than the missing feathers I can not find anything external. She continued to lay for about 2 days after the attack and then stopped and hasn't layed since. She hasn't shown any signs of being sick. Still eats, nurses that foot but hops around pretty fast on her one foot. I looked at her vent today and I kind of pushed around it but honestly I have no idea what I would be looking for if there was something wrong. Any thoughts or suggestions?

On a side note, found a ginormous rat snake in the coop yesterday hanging out on the nest boxes. I wonder if I have been losing eggs to it. It is dead now. I have never been so glad that my daughter disobeyed when I asked her to check for eggs.

I am a little worried. One of my two older ladies was nearly dragged off by a fox about a week and a half ago. She suffered some major plucking on her backside and as far as I can tell a leg wound that she is still nursing. I thought at first she had a vent injury but other than the missing feathers I can not find anything external. She continued to lay for about 2 days after the attack and then stopped and hasn't layed since. She hasn't shown any signs of being sick. Still eats, nurses that foot but hops around pretty fast on her one foot. I looked at her vent today and I kind of pushed around it but honestly I have no idea what I would be looking for if there was something wrong. Any thoughts or suggestions?

On a side note, found a ginormous rat snake in the coop yesterday hanging out on the nest boxes. I wonder if I have been losing eggs to it. It is dead now. I have never been so glad that my daughter disobeyed when I asked her to check for eggs.
A lot of times after a traumatic experience like that they will stop laying for a while. Just give her time to re coop as long as she is eating and drinking okay she should be fine.

So happy for you Sadiedog, that is woderful news, and so happy that you are now on your way to lots of great RIR eggs, they are terrific egg layers!
Good Luck!

So I posted about my first egg last week.....3 days later it looks like she laid another. yea
bow.gif
I left for a mothers day overnighter with my BFF (we went to see the musical Wicked) within a day and a half my husband and 14 year old son found 6 eggs?! It was tourchure....they kept sending me text pic's of the eggs 4 blue and 2 brown. Looks like my 2 EE lay blue eggs and 1 a day so far which is even better! But one girl died suddenly in the nest yesterday before I got home. This is my first chicken death and it make me nervous because I wasn't here to watch her symptoms. My husband said he thought she was gonna lay and egg all day, but then looked sleepy....and then dead?! Thinking it might be coccdiosis so I'm treating the whole flock (had a silkie looking sluggish). After all of that eggcitment over the weekend....I've been hanging out on the porch waiting to hear an egg song...... and not a single egg yet.
barnie.gif
I think they're playing with me haha.
ChristyB, If you read a few pages back, the same exact thing happened to me a few weeks back. After I found her passed in the nest box, I inspected her everywhere, and all I could find was her vent had been prolapsed. She laid HUGE eggs, and had also had some issues I should have realized were warning signs like two shelless eggs and also two eggs were laid with yolk all over them, she must have been having stress laying those huge eggs. I was so very sad. Did your husband all ready dispose of her, can you still inspect her? So sorry this happened for you, I was sad for a few days, and hated to lose one of my best layers. On a better note, so happy for you to have the blue eggs, I love mine! Send us some pictures of your blue eggs!

Oh, I am starting to hear about a LOT of predetor issues! i know those animals have to eat, but isn't there enough out in their habitat! These chickens are such easy targets as well... STINks... If her vent appears normal , no firmness or discharge, I would assume she is good there. Has she been eating, drinking and pooping normal? You can never underestimate that, I always feel so good when they eat and drink. If you look back or go to the picture gallery, I put up a picture of the prolapsed vent my girl had. It definitally didn't look normal. Keep an eye on her just to be sure.

As far as that snake? YIKES!! i would FLIP OUT if I came upon that. I too wonder if it had been taking eggs, must have, because how would it have known to go there! Yes, sometimes when they don't listen to us, it turns out with good results!

Keep us posted about your flock!
MB

I dread snake season!!!

Our son's dog got bit in the face by one that was on the street in front of our home.
Many dollars later, it survived with antivenin.
We found one dead in our pool skimmer.
My husband killed one as it was attempting to go under the neighbors gate
(they have two little children)
These were all small rattle snakes. - wonder where mom is?

That was before we had chickens. Now I'm going to be even more weary.
Won't be sticking my hands in the nest box too quickly. Thanks for the
reminder.

Back
Top Bottom