Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

Hi all,
I am so excited to join in the egg-waiting game! I have 15 girls (6 different breeds), and they were 18 weeks old yesterday. On Friday night I went out to close up the coop after they had roosted, and I found a smushy egg in the poop box under Dorothy, one of my Dominiques. I was so excited!!
celebrate.gif
She had been squatting for a couple days and her comb and wattles are quite red, so I knew she would be first. Obviously her timing is a bit off given that she laid at around 10 PM, but hey, it was an egg! I found another egg in the poop box in "her" corner of the roost yesterday morning, so now she's laid two. The second one (pictured) also was broken but the shell seemed a bit harder than the first egg...that first one was more like just a membrane than a shell.

She's mostly ignored the nesting boxes...do you think that she'll start to figure that out in earnest once she develops eggs with a harder shell? A couple of the other girls are squatting so I'm hoping they'll lay soon too, but again, no one is playing in the nesting boxes. I have golf balls in two of them and wooden eggs in the other two. Should I do something else to encourage them to get into the nesting boxes? I am hoping that the "egg in the poop box" is just due to first-timer syndrome and won't become a habit.

I added a pic of the nesting boxes so you can see the set up. I also have to add a shot of Dorothy (Dottie) because I am so proud of her!
love.gif

I look forward to learning more from those of you who have more experience and to waiting along with the other first-timers!

Hi all,
I am so excited to join in the egg-waiting game! I have 15 girls (6 different breeds), and they were 18 weeks old yesterday. On Friday night I went out to close up the coop after they had roosted, and I found a smushy egg in the poop box under Dorothy, one of my Dominiques. I was so excited!!
celebrate.gif
She had been squatting for a couple days and her comb and wattles are quite red, so I knew she would be first. Obviously her timing is a bit off given that she laid at around 10 PM, but hey, it was an egg! I found another egg in the poop box in "her" corner of the roost yesterday morning, so now she's laid two. The second one (pictured) also was broken but the shell seemed a bit harder than the first egg...that first one was more like just a membrane than a shell.

She's mostly ignored the nesting boxes...do you think that she'll start to figure that out in earnest once she develops eggs with a harder shell? A couple of the other girls are squatting so I'm hoping they'll lay soon too, but again, no one is playing in the nesting boxes. I have golf balls in two of them and wooden eggs in the other two. Should I do something else to encourage them to get into the nesting boxes? I am hoping that the "egg in the poop box" is just due to first-timer syndrome and won't become a habit.

I have sand in my run but do you have sand in your boxes? If so, how do you like it? Mine scratch out the straw and lay on the board....have seen small cracks in the end of the eggs and have tried to figure out what to do about it

I have 3 laying but the 4th one...a golden wynndotte is just not having anything to do with it at al ! She's driving me crazy!
barnie.gif
I am blaming my boys, they haven't quite mastered the art of mounting yet! It's funny really. Ok, not really. I had 1 laying but when her mate died, she quit!

jtbass, I use pine shavings on the floor of the coop, but I put hay in the nesting boxes after reading that the shavings stick to the bloom on the eggs. I wonder if the girls would be more comfortable if I replaced the hay with shavings, though...something to consider. Thanks for spurring an idea!

I did put nonstick squishy shelf liner in the bottom of the nesting boxes under the hay to provide a little additional cushion in hopes of preventing cracked eggs.

Chicken chose an interesting place to lay her first egg. If you can't tell it is the inside of a child size electric car. Good news is I now have 2 layers

We got a total of 5 eggs this morning, 4 white. This means that I have at least 3 new layers. The brown egg I got was different shape and color from the ones I normally get from my two older ladies, but I can't say for sure if it was laid by the older ones or if one of my RIR pullets laid. It does seem kind of big for a pullet egg.

Back
Top Bottom