Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

My girl Dottie got it right yesterday...she laid a perfect little egg in the nesting box!!!! Hooray, the first real egg!
wee.gif

A couple of the other girls are squatting in a more "serious" way, so I think we'll be seeing more eggs soon. When all 15 start laying consistently it will seem like an avalanche compared to this breathless waiting for a single (tiny!) egg to appear!

My girl Dottie got it right yesterday...she laid a perfect little egg in the nesting box!!!! Hooray, the first real egg!
wee.gif

A couple of the other girls are squatting in a more "serious" way, so I think we'll be seeing more eggs soon. When all 15 start laying consistently it will seem like an avalanche compared to this breathless waiting for a single (tiny!) egg to appear!

wee.gif

I love it!!!!
celebrate.gif
3/4 of mine are new layers and I've got my eye on the 4th. She's a golden wyndotte and a little younger than the others but I'm hoping anytime now!!!
bow.gif

I'm starting to get discouraged! My Silver Laced Wyandotte is 5 1/2 months now and no eggs yet. Still within normal range? I got three of them at the same time (at 12 weeks) and two turned out to be roos. : (

I now have 6 chickens and only one egg per day. Boo.

My girls in one nest this morning...Red is the red sexlink - head of the pecking order. Blue is my Easter egger - last one the pecking order. Lol

This video is precious! The red sex link was like...."I'll take that thank you!" Too hysterical. The Easter egger is colored so neat... she looked like she had stockings on... so neat! What is she crossed with?

I have missed everyone, so sorry I have been absent from all the news.....crazy summer here. Miss you all, and thank you to everyone who is keeping the thread up and running. Welcome to all the newbies, hang in there, I promise the eggs will come, a big shout out to all my peeps out there! I promise to write a longer post later....

HUGS...

MB

jtbass, I use pine shavings on the floor of the coop, but I put hay in the nesting boxes after reading that the shavings stick to the bloom on the eggs.  I wonder if the girls would be more comfortable if I replaced the hay with shavings, though...something to consider.  Thanks for spurring an idea! 

I did put nonstick squishy shelf liner in the bottom of the nesting boxes under the hay to provide a little additional cushion in hopes of preventing cracked eggs.
I thought pine was not good for chickens?

KilnChick, pine is ok...it's cedar that's a no no.

I got two more eggs yesterday. I believe one was from Dottie (same size/shape, and in the same nesting box), but I found the other one outside near the waterer. I think it must have been a surprise to whomever laid it, as the placement seemed somewhat accidental!
lau.gif
It is a bit lighter in color than the Dottie's two eggs. I'm thinking it was from one of my GLWs, as one of them has been squatting in earnest.

If we get another egg today, we'll have enough for Saturday morning breakfast! Can't wait!

Good luck to everyone...hope there are lots of new eggs soon!!

Back
Top Bottom