Any other Cloth Diapering families?

JustPeachy

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 14, 2011
Waynesboro, Ga
I am a new mommy, DS born June 2011, and we are doing the cloth diapering routine, still have a few disposables in the house cause the grandparents are afraid of the cloth diapers, go figure, I thought they used them back in the day, maybe thats why they are scared?! Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else on the forum used the new cloth diapers? I would love to be able to sew my own, our JoAnns fabric store here has the book with patterns and the material, but I just don't think I am that good to try and do a diaper, yet! What brands are you using or have tried? We are currently using the Osoocozy, fuzzibunz perfect size, thirsties and babyland brands. I've been really happy with the savings we have had since starting with the cloth and they are so easy to use, not like the horrors everyone imagines when I say we use cloth!

We used cloth diapers with our second child and I loved them.

I was doing it on the cheap so I only used Bummis super whisper wraps with Cloth-eez prefold diapers, couldn't afford any of the cute stuff. They were simple, worked great. I especially enjoyed using cloth wipes!

Congratulations! You're going to be a great mom.

We used cloth diapers for a while, with those really cool velcro waterproof breathable wraps, and a diaper pail (that was the ooky part)

I felt very "green". Eventually, I gave in and started using disposables because the additional work involved didn't seem to be worth it, especially when I figured out that the cost, both environmentally and financially, in terms of water usage and energy usage, and the increased incidence of diaper rash, didn't make it that much of a bonus. For a while I used disposables only when I was going out and was likely to have to change dipes in a public place. Then I gave up and just did the disposables.

The kids do toilet train easier with cloth I think, because wet cloth diapers are more uncomfortable than the disposables. Diaper rash for us was worse with cloth, because there was more skin contact with waste, but some people have the opposite problem, it's too easy to leave the disposables on too long, which takes away the skin integrity advantages.

Whatever you do, do it with pride and joy in your child. Don't let anyone make fun of you for doing it the old fashioned way, if there's a diaper service in your area, take advantage of it! (none here) And if you decide to do disposables, don't let anyone criticize you for that either. Hold your head high and focus on what's most important, that little person you just hatched!

It's funny, our first DS had a lot of diaper rash using disposables, while our second never had any diaper rash at all using cloth, and I would venture to say they were changed with the same frequency. We did use some disposables as he got older and had to use them at daycare, too, since she wouldn't do cloth.

I liked looking at all those cloth diapers out drying on the line. I'm a dork, I know!
lol.png

My mom used cloth diapers for me and my older brother, and disposable ones for my younger brother, who was born here. But, she did start potty training us quite early. I think she said I was potty trained when I was less than a year old, and so was my little brother. She would have him say a very simple sound (not even a word) to signal when he thought he needed to go. It worked. So if cloth diapers don't do it for you, please consider trying to potty train early. My grandma gets mad at my cousins who have kids because they are 2 years old and not potty trained. This thread is interesting because I am considering using cloth diapers for my um, future child
lol.png

I cloth diapered all 4 of my kids and love it. My youngest is 10 months old and he's still in cloth diapers.

You can't beat a good, old-fashioned pre-fold for absorbancy. I use 4x8x4 Diaper Service Quality pre-folds with covers. My favorite covers are Nicky's from www.babyworks.com and Imse Vimsie. I have some Bummi Super Whisper Wraps, too.

I got into fitted diapers with my 2nd baby and I sewed a lot of Cuddlebuns One-Size cloth diapers (my absolute favorite pattern) and Poo-Pockets. For fitted diapers, you need a fuller-cut diaper cover, so for those I like Mother-Ease Air Flow covers or Bummi Whisper pants pull-ons. I also like Wool diaper covers, but they're bulky. Mother-Ease has nice fitted diapers.

I like the Fuzzibunz all-in-ones - probably my favorites, especially the one-size. I also have a few Bum Genius.

I made my own cloth wipes by cutting out a square of flannel and a square of cotton terry knit and serging around the edges - so nice!

Here's a recent one of Jacob modeling the Bum Genius One-Size Pocket diaper.
7479_100_2772.jpg

My son is now 22 years old, however I used cloth with him, with the covers. For a while. Then it became too much and I started using disposables. It really cut down on rashes and time, IMHO.

We use cloth too, have for both kids. For the new little ones I use prefolds and covers, usually for the first three months or so. With Paul it was always prefolds, but with Dolores, I have been using the Flip diapers, really, really like them. No leaks ever, and it's been over a year!

We have used cloth diapers quite a bit, but are in a somewhat lazy stretch with our son, child # 4. Our best luck and value has been the Bummis tri fold and super whisper wrap. The wraps with snaps will be more durable since the velcro tends to wear out (even with precautions.) Invest in flushable liners when you start solids!
tongue.gif
BeasleyMommy

We used disposable for the first few months till we discovered Fuzzi Bunz. I loved them, a little lavender oil on the diaper pail liner cut the smell but we also washed diapers every other day or so. I don't remember what exact style but it had button snaps that had several hip and waist adjustments and a pocket to stuff the absorbent thing in. We used the size medium for the long hall till he was potty trained around 2nd bday.

Deffinatly going that way for our second.!!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom