Any other hawaiians out there?

Lucky folks... you don't have racoons, or coyotes or possums.... and there probably aren't chicken hawks there either. Talk about FREE RANGE! What I could do in Hawaii.

Do you order your chicks from the mainland?

I hear that there are all kinds of chickens that run wild on Mauii.

Yes, but we have mongoose, hawks, owls and palm rats! Predation is still a major problem, especially since so many locals allow their dogs & cats to run free 24/7.

The wild fowl of Kauai are a good story. They claim that a cargo ship jettisoned its load in a hurricane to save the ship and these birds were escapees. Maybe, but Iʻm not too sure. Much like the cats & dogs, I think they were domestic fowl allowed to roam free that ultimately went bamboo. Pretty though.

Quote:
Funny you should mention Malays. I was thinking about getting some Malays or Shamos to use as a security force. Let them run free and keep the dogs & cats off the property. Whoʻs going to take on a 3ʻ high fighting chicken?

Okay, first question. Is bamboo (leaves & shoots) safe for chickens to eat? My black bamboo blows its leaves all thru my run and the chickens are scratching in it. I havenʻt seen any bad effects, but does anyone have any experience with bamboo and fowl? Likewise, ironwood needles are everywhere here. They make nice bedding, but are they toxic?

Hi, I just moved to CA from Waimea (Kamuela). We never had a problem with bamboo, and it shedded everywhere. two of my hens loved to make there nests in between the bamboo clumps. They both had very successful hatches.
I did have a heck of a time controlling the mites. The brooding girls would just get covered, because of not getting up to dust themselves. I had to regularly dust all the birds and bedding. I tried just using DE but it didn't work as well as the powder with the pyrethrin in it.
I had to rehome over 35 chickens before we moved. I am now ready for a few, I have a very small yard in town now. Sunday I will hopefully be getting 2 Golden Cuckoo and 1 wheaton Marans hens:D

Aloha! Iʻm in Hawi. Weʻve been fighting an unknown predator lately, so I havenʻt had time to chat on BYC, but glad you are here now. Best of luck with your new girls!

Last edited:
I got choke orientals ready to come out of the brooder. O-shamo, malay, thai, & saipan. But when do you start feeding them Hawaiian Gamecock mix? Anybody know? Iʻve been using broiler starter mixed with millet seed & chick grit so far. They grow fast and peep like crazy! Already a couple of fights, but all for show.

Back
Top Bottom