Any other hawaiians out there?

Pics
Woohoo for silkies! I'm on the Big Island too. I have 5 silkies. Silkies make the greatest mommas, don't they? Two of my broody hens hatched 3 from hatching eggs from the mainland! They make such tame pets that my friend's kids always wanna come over to play with the chickens!

Dianer29, are you on the east side?

Quote:
cool.png
It is so hot! We have alot of feral chickens over here too...mostly roosters. I guess people set them loose because they don't want them and they end up all over the place.

Quote:
Hi Silkienewbiegurl! I was wondering about your hatching eggs from the mainland. Did you need permits to get them? Also, How many eggs did you get? I wanted to get eggs but I wasn't sure if it would make the trip over here. What kind of chicks did you get?

I live on Hilo side. Chooks seem to be bothered lately,irritable. I did notice possible light start of molt. I also had some real small flies that are getting them pretty badly. I have ACV in water,garlic in their rice 2x week and food grade DE I just sprinkled more in their bedding. I feel sorry for them!

From the mainland Mypetchicken and I paid for hens and that is what I ended up with. Minimum order was 10 3 passed away at very beginning.

Quote:
Hi Fluffystuffs808! We don't need to get a permit to ship hatching eggs to Hawaii from the mainland. I checked with the Dept of Agriculture. They consider eggs clean and gave the okay. I got 3 eggs (1 extra) from muki1234 on ebay because both hens had gone broody for a few weeks so I figured what the heck. Three of the eggs hatched and the chicks are beautiful! One is buff and two are splash. I am still waiting to see what sex they are and I hope they aren't all cockerels! That would suck! The eggs arrived packed well and when I let the vendor know that 3 of the 4 eggs hatched, she indicated that other folks had also gotten really good hatch rate for those shipped to Hawaii. If you wanna take a look, I have some pics posted on: http://joangoesgreen.blogspot.com/ Just scroll down and you can see them grow from eggs to now.

dianer 29 ... Oh bummers about the flies. I haven't had a problem with them yet; I am on the Hilo side too! I hope it all works out! Let us know how it goes.

Hi Silkienewbiegurl!

You are so lucky. I must have gotten wrong info about eggs. Anyway, I think they are great! Are they SQ Silkies? I wish I could get some for my flock. I love my Silkies but some new stock would be great. You can sell me your roosters!!
big_smile.png
I love your website. Do you sell your drawings?

Quote:
I think the silkies are show quality although they were not advertised as such. One has a vaulted skull, all are bearded and fluffy to the max!
love.gif
The images of the parents on ebay were obviously from quality stock and not backyard mixes. The vendor keeps all colors in separate pens and highly rated here on BYC.

Are you interested in roosters? I may have to find homes if they are roosters ... and I am a bit worried that all 3 are roosters! Yikes!
barnie.gif

I do sell my drawings/paintings but only upon request. If there's anything you want, just shoot me an email.
smile.png

oh no! That really sucks! I would take a rooster but I wouldn't know how to get him here? The last time I wanted to ship a chicken over from Oahu, the p.o. and Hwn Air said no. I would need to buy a special box that costs around 50.00

Back
Top Bottom