Any other hawaiians out there?

I agree with Joan. Organic is great, but a lot more expensive and not always there. I feed layer pellets, 3 way scratch, and for a treat, HI Game Bird mix. It has a lot of big seeds that they love fighting over. The best bargain is broken bags when you can find them at 50% off. Usually only a small amount has leaked out before they catch them and tape them up. There is nothing in commercial feed that you havenʻt been eating for years in the chickens you bought from KTA. Plus, you arenʻt eating the birds, just their eggs so there isnʻt a lifetime of chemical build-up in the egg. Just a tiny trace, perhaps, that got deposited there when they were initially formed. Thatʻs why they call eggs the healthiest food on earth.

But here is a thought for you, moldy feed is very bad for chickens. It leads to all sorts of respiratory problems. Hilo has almost 100% humidity all the time, so feed can go bad quickly if it isnʻt protected. Same goes for your bedding, so keep it under cover and only buy what they can eat in a month or so.

If you are feeding DE, you shouldnʻt have any problem with internal parasites. DE has millions of sharp tiny edges that cut up the worms. It doesnʻt kill the eggs immediately, but will kill the larvae. Other than that, all Iʻve used is pyrethin powder. It goes by a lot of different trade names, but the active ingredient is pyrethin, a natural insecticide.

One last word to the wise. Shortly, all of the feed stores will have chicks. I presume you know enough not to buy these stressed out and often sick chicks. But you SHOULD buy bedding and food as soon as they appear. Six weeks later, you wonʻt be able to find a bag of feed or a bale of shavings on the island. I got skunked last year and probably wasted $100 in gas driving around looking for food and bedding since all the newbies bought the feed mills out.

Chuck, I experienced the same thing. There are times that you can't find feed in Hilo! I have to plan ahead, especially since I didn't know of anyone else that had chickens and couldn't go over to their house to borrow a "cup" of feed, like we do for sugar.
smile.png
Thanks for the advice! That reminds me I need to make a trip to the store.

And about hay, yes! Things get moldy here ... really, really quickly. I have the hay in very dry storage and only open the storage when it's dry out but I have to be vigilant ... or else! I suspect I will need to replace the hay soon. I just wish they sold half-bales! Heh heh, plus, I keep their feed in the living room!!!! I have issues with mice and rats outside so I stopped giving them an excuse to raid the feed. It is rather funny to see the face of people that visit and see the bin of feed inside the door. What we do for our chickens!

smile.png

Joan

Hello Hawaii!
woot.gif

Just a reminder that there are still lots of towns and cities right here in Hawaii up for grabs in the BYC Chicken L.O.R.E. Project!

This is a massive undertaking, and everyone is encouraged to participate! Your knowledge of Chicken L.O.R.E. will earn you GFM Scratch, which are good towards new GFM Memberships, Membership extensions, or Membership gifts.

Remember - you don't have to select a city in Hawaii - cruise the selection list and choose any city still available!

Get started now! Click on the Chicken L.O.R.E. link above for all the details, and remember your Project Managers are here to help in any way we can.

Good Luck, and Thanx for Joining In!
clap.gif

hi! sorry i'm a bit late here, but i'm new to raising chickens and just found this post. good to see there are others from Hawaii here.
ya.gif

i'm on the island of Oahu and have 4 RIR/Leghorns - 2 of them have been laying since December and one just started the other day.

we stumbled upon the world of chickens by the grace of God...believe it or not. we went to visit our former priest at his new location and he the boys that if they could catch one of the chickens running around the yard they could take it home. well, since i've got chickens, that means by boys caught one! it's been such a blessing for our family. we all get so excited about them and can't wait to see them when we get home or even tell others about them.

enough about me...hope to hear from others as well!
big_smile.png

aloha!

I am not a new member but I am from Hawaii.I have 7 beautiful spoiled Silkies.Chickens run loose around here not mine they have their own lanai.

Last edited:
The Big Island. I have 7 Silkie hens that are now 10 months old. There is not a day that goes by that they do not have me in awe!I have one that is always broody and a couple that pretend to but drop their self imposed exile when food is near...........

Last edited:
Iam not sure if they are common. I do know we have a heck of alot of"feral" chickens and too many roosters...lol How is it in Maui?

Back
Top Bottom